• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Buy MS 441 28” B/C fair price for buyer and seller?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FR3

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Was inquiring about a FB marketplace add for something else, the seller responded that it was no longer available, but did have an MS441 they would sell if interested.
What would be a fair price for both myself and the seller?
8B81FBBA-3EF0-49BC-8410-AFA1585094D7.jpeg1AD77FAA-1245-4D9C-928C-9BAB6ACB2A97.jpeg

A few things to keep in mind, first I rarely pay market value for my saws, but if it's rare I might.
The MS441 in the picture is not M-tronic, doesn't have a full wrap or felling spikes.
If the piston and cylinder are clean it would be worth 400.00 tops in my opinion, but its a older model with probably high hours which means it's gonna need to be gone through. The biggest deterrent for the MS441 is that is extremely complex to work on ,so unless you aren't intimidated by complex machines, working on one can be a challenge for some.
Replacement parts are expensive and there is little to no Aftermarket support for these models.
Id offer 250.00 and go from there.
Last year the shop mechanic down the road sold his 441c to fund a 500i purchase, it had 1 tank of fuel run through it, it sold for 800.00 and it was perfect.

A few things to keep in mind, first I rarely pay market value for my saws, but if it's rare I might.
The MS441 in the picture is not M-tronic, doesn't have a full wrap or felling spikes.
If the piston and cylinder are clean it would be worth 400.00 tops in my opinion, but its a older model with probably high hours which means it's gonna need to be gone through. The biggest deterrent for the MS441 is that is extremely complex to work on ,so unless you aren't intimidated by complex machines, working on one can be a challenge for some.
Replacement parts are expensive and there is little to no Aftermarket support for these models.
Last year the shop mechanic down the road sold his 441c to fund a 500i purchase, it had 1 tank of fuel run through it, it sold for 800.00 and it was perfect.
Glad I put I’m not real sure in my guess lol. Very good description man!

Just curious… what about it makes it extremely complex to work on?

Take a look at the parts list :cry:.
They are nice running saws, and one of the smoothest if not the smoothest stihls I've ran.
It’s actually a girl that inherited it when her father passed away. Said she’d like to get $500 but open to offers.
I very rarely make offers on items I buy, it's yours, you name the price is my line of thinking. At that point I either buy it or I walk, I don't typically even make a counter offer. You should see how many folks get upset when I won't go lower than what I list something for :popcorn2:.
Anyway, you could ask her why she feels it's worth the 500 she suggested, but I'd just simple ask what she would take for it. If she says make an offer, let her know you don't want to waste her time or yours, you just want to know how much cash you'd need to bring to buy it ;).

I don't know much about stihls, but not cleaning the saw before storage is usually an indication of prior care history IMO but I'm no pro, and i am probably overly obsessive on having clean equipment and tools.
That one doesn't look too bad at all, more than anything it just appears to have been well used. Quite a bit of paint missing off it.

it was no longer available, but did have an MS441 they would sell if interested.
Wonder if she has any others for sale, it would be worth asking.

Just to replace a fuel line is a extensive disassembly, the fuel tank requires a "trick?" to get it on or off , for which I'm not sure how to even explain. Trust me on this one ,it's not for the easly frustrated.

Back