ms 460 magnum gas tank

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbdropshot

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Can you buy a replacement gas tank for these saws if they have a hole in them, or do you just have to epoxy them.

The tanks are patchable with J-B Weld if the hole/crack is not located where it weakens the tank since the rear handle is part of the tank.

I just had a guy repair the plastic on my 290 using a plastic weld. He claims that any type of plastic can be fixed this way. He showed me some of his work of m/c farings and cars. I was amazed at what can be fixed and at the quality. Can't see why a fuel tank coundn't be done the same way. Cost me 30 bucks. Shilh price for new one was 90. Good luck.

Are the tanks for the 460 the same as for the 440? right now I have a hole in mine and I was wondering if they were the same.
Thanks.
Onelick

Are the tanks for the 460 the same as for the 440? right now I have a hole in mine and I was wondering if they were the same.
Thanks.
Onelick

No. The 460 tank is wider and holds more fuel mix. Some folks have swapped them back and forth, but they dont quite line up.

ok thanks. I'm still looking for the hole, I'm not sure if i can get to it to patch it. It's leaked since I bought it used for $200.

ok thanks. I'm still looking for the hole, I'm not sure if i can get to it to patch it. It's leaked since I bought it used for $200.

My 046 was leaking around the fuel line. I used a little threebond to seal it up, it seems to be good to go.

I also repaired a cracked tank on another 046 with JB weld, the wrap handle was bent down by a bobcat when loading logs on a trailer. That in turn cracked the tank where the wrap handle attaches. I drilled a few holes on both sides of the crack and used some wire to pull it tight together, roughed up the surfaces and coated it with the JB weld. After straightening the wrap handle it is good as new. :cheers:

Back