ms 460 oiling problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highsiera

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello all, I've been away for a while but I';ve missed all of you.

I was out bucking and splitting cants with a friend last weekend and ntoiced (quickly) that the 460 wasn't oiling. currently running a 24" stihl hardnose bar. Channels were clean as were the holes. Blew out all the passages and swapped the pump for one I knew was good and still not getting oil to the bar.
I am however just getting a steady drip of oil through the access hole for the oiler adjustment screw. Oil is dripping out of the bottom of the case and leaking out from around the sprocket assembly.

Someone who's had this problem please help. I want to get this saw back into wood, cutting 20" red oak with the 026 isn't near as much fun.
B.

Check the tube from the pump to the outlet by the bar.

Also check the pickup in the tank.

oiler

thanks Peacock, I blew the channel out from the pump to the bar. An the pickup tube must be fine because the oils getting to the pump.
I'm just wonderring if I'm missing something in between.
Could a pump itself leak?

There is no hose on the 046/MS460, check the seals where the pump mates up to the case. There is a small o-ring type seal that sounds like it's missing or damaged.

ive chased this problem before on saws. the worm gear with the metal arm that drives the oil pump off of the clutch drum will sometimes break and will no longer engage into the clutch drum...thus not spinning the pump. ive bent the pegs and made them longer before and am currently running a saw that had that done a long time ago. or change them out..i don't think they cost very much(i just don't ever think about it)

Last edited:
o ring

Thank you guys, Erick is the man, turns out the tiny rubber O ring had gone missing. Oils like a champ now.

Apologies to my neighbors.....it was only 9:30....and I just couldn't wait until tomorrow to find out if it worked....

% heads always better than one. Kudos. B.

oil pump rebuild

Andy you know I have that post printed out in color, laminated and hanging in my workshop. No joke, a top 5 on AS. Thanks, B.

ha! MAYBE (na) after I get my mills back togther. Oh.. it will be summer by then..

I do want to rebuild my 056M2 so it's all NOS though... might do that next month.

Latest posts

Back