MS 460 won't run after rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frogdaddy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Buddy of mine dropped off a MS 460 that had been ran over by a bulldozer. Surprisingly the thing ran but the flywheel side crankcase half and recoil cover was busted. I replaced the crankcase half and installed a new p/c. After reassembly it fired and ran for just a second but now it won't hit a lick. Checked everything I can think of fuel, spark, compression, and flywheel position and it all seems correct. Any ideas?

I have been all over this saw everything is hooked up. I am fearing it is a deeper problem such as a blown oil seal if that is possible.

Before anybody asks: new gaskets, seals, plug, meteor p/c kit,carb rebuild, and fuel filter. The impluse line, fuel line, and intake boot all checked out. The coil throws a pretty blue spark. The flywheel keyway is present.

I always start simple. Try a different plug. Make sure gap is .020.

I have had some bad luck lately with plugs. I had one that sparked but saw wouldn't fire. After pulling my hair out looking at everything I put a different one in from a different saw and bang.

I have tried 4 different plugs: 2 Bosch and 2 ngk's all new. This thing has me stumped! Hopefully the Wisconsin connection has the answer. I know you all have some big timber.

I check the gap on the plugs and the squish measured out to be .030. Now the carb has them damn limiting screws and it could be way to rich but I tried it with it screw all the way in, all the way out, and the factory settings.

BDC the piston and with the plug out tip it upside down and around a few times see if a bunch of gas comes out the plug hole
Did that there was a few drops of mix to hit the ground. Tell you what: I can go through the starting sequence and pull the plug and stick a lighter to the plug hole and it will pop just like there fuel being compressed.

Back