MS 461 oil bar set on automatic?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoolCat44

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
modification oil flow? Or leave it on "E"???

Thanks to you guys for advices, I finally bought a brand new MS 461, I love it!

The dealer told me that for every fuel refill I should refill bar oil, if it is not empty I should incresed the oil flow.:msp_wink:

I'm used to refill bar oil after 2 refuelling!? I'm wrong???

Phil

I am with the dealer on this 1:1 is good. I have not used a 461 but .most new Stihls are a little stingy with the oil output

modification oil flow? Or leave it on "E"???

Thanks to you guys for advices, I finally bought a brand new MS 461, I love it!

The dealer told me that for every fuel refill I should refill bar oil, if it is not empty I should incresed the oil flow.:msp_wink:

I'm used to refill bar oil after 2 refuelling!? I'm wrong???

Phil

depends on many variables, but yes turn the oiler up

depends on bar size and type of wood ,if 20 inch bar where you are at may be ok ,i run 28-32 so i crank it all way open

I prefer to have some oil left in the tank when the gas is gone dry. If there is no oil, how do you know WHEN it went dry? Was it just as the engine started to sputter? Was it the prior cut? 10 cuts before?? Point is, you don't know and could be hurting more than helping!

Plus you will run a lot more dollars out of your wallet by extravagant over oiling than you will by proper oiling. (in my opinion). There is a balance between the loss of money from wearing out the bar vs loss of money from spashing too much oil. Sorry, it's the engineer in me oozing out like some swamp slime :blush:.

FWIW, the local Stihl tech advised me to adjust the bar oil so that 1/4 to 1/3 of the tank remains when the fuel tank is near empty for my MS440's w/20" bars. On one of them, that means the oil adjustment is nearly wide open.

Back