ms 660 oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm using Stihl Chain, good quality oil; the bar is overheating, not enough oil for sure. Last night I cleaned everything and will give it one more try.

Ironically, the saw came with a 36" bar and skip chain. I put on a 25" bar, no skip chain. So in theory, it cuts more aggressively and needs more oil. I still wonder if the screw adjustment is problematic, will only turn a 1/4 turn.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

- Rick

I talked with our local repair shop in Santa Cruz, Ca over the phone. They identified my problem almost immediately - cutting wet oak, brown stains on chain and bar, chain stops moving through the bar, etc. They were certain the oiler was working correctly, but the cutting conditions exceeded the ability of the oiler to keep up. They recommended cutting the bar oil with diesel fuel, or using a lighter weight oil. I switched to 10-30 car oil and took breaks between cuts, running the chain at idle to let it re-lubricate.

This has "fixed" the problem, but I'm very disappointed that oil to the chain is so throutled down that I can not cut wet oak without problems. I think Stihl needs to fix this design flaw (I understand the desire to make their saws more environmentally friendly). Otherwise, it's a great saw.

- Rick

I talked with our local repair shop in Santa Cruz, Ca over the phone. They identified my problem almost immediately - cutting wet oak, brown stains on chain and bar, chain stops moving through the bar, etc. They were certain the oiler was working correctly, but the cutting conditions exceeded the ability of the oiler to keep up. They recommended cutting the bar oil with diesel fuel, or using a lighter weight oil. I switched to 10-30 car oil and took breaks between cuts, running the chain at idle to let it re-lubricate.

This has "fixed" the problem, but I'm very disappointed that oil to the chain is so throutled down that I can not cut wet oak without problems. I think Stihl needs to fix this design flaw (I understand the desire to make their saws more environmentally friendly). Otherwise, it's a great saw.

- Rick

I actually ran into that same problem yesterday. I picked up a new 660 yesterday, and then went to buck up some oak (30" diameter) that a fellow had dropped on his property, i now have those brown stains on the bar...i stopped after the first cut and maxed out the oiler however i still think it needs more.

It was however in the mid 40's and i was using regular stihl oil, i'll try cutting it with diesel for the next run.

Thanks TT, but looking at the numbers on the page (34.2009) does that mean it was published in 2009 and the future is now?

Tommy Hall just got my two hd oilers in, so am I now "back to the future"? :)

Yes, 2009...from what I under stand the "34" means the 34th change in 2009.
Not 34th for 660 but the 34th for all Stihl, saw's, weed eater, blower's and so on.

TT

Last edited:
You can get the west coast high output oiler.

But, it seems that when they are new, they dont oil good. Once they get broken in the oil flows alittle more. . .

Thanks TT. My 660 was purchased in August of 2009. Is this an expensive upgrade or something that Stihl helps cover as part of their good customer service program?

Thanks - Rick

660 as well?

TT,
While that says it is for the 650, does this mean that the 660 now comes with the AU pump if it was the wrap kit? Curious, I have to either take mine apart or see if I can see the small mark in the bolt from the underside.
Thanks for the hints either way.
Chad

Thanks TT. My 660 was purchased in August of 2009. Is this an expensive upgrade or something that Stihl helps cover as part of their good customer service program?

Thanks - Rick

TT,
While that says it is for the 650, does this mean that the 660 now comes with the AU pump if it was the wrap kit? Curious, I have to either take mine apart or see if I can see the small mark in the bolt from the underside.
Thanks for the hints either way.
Chad

Guys, all I know about the new oil pump is whats in the PDF.

Do you know the MD of your saw's?

TT

TT,

If MD refers to model-date, mine is a MS660, wrap around handle, purchased 9/18/2009, SN 170642763.

I also sent an electronic message to Stihl USA back East this afternoon. I would think they want to see their hi-end chain saws working properly and used well.

Thanks - Rick

MD= Manufacture Date

The MD will be on sicker on the foot pad of rear handle.
It will be something like my 361, it has a MD 11.08
It was made Nov. 2008

As far as I know the date code changed in 2008.
Before 2008 the year was first then the month of manufacture.

Don't take this info to the bank, but from the 20 Stihl units I have
bought the MD has changed.

I have 066 with MD of 99.05 which has to be made in 1999
Then the 361's MD is 11.08 it's not 2011 yet so it had to be made
in 2008. I have others this way also.

Some saws can set in warehouse or in dealers back room
for some time. So you could buy a saw that was made
a few years before it ever sells. I bought FS110 with MD 05.12
so it was made in 2005. I bought it in 2008, the dealer
I use buys in masses to get a better deal.

TT

Latest posts

Back