MS 660 with a 42in bar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bayoucut

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I live down in Louisiana and will be mostly cutting Oak and Cypress. Working with wood is a hobby of mine not a full time job. My question is can I get away with milling on a 660 using a 42in bar vs having to get the 880? I'll only use it for milling maybe 5 times a year on trees with a diameter of about 3-4ft.

I mill up to 36" wide with my 661. In hardwoods that's as wide as I want to go and makes me long for an 880.

That said, some folks mill wider with the same powerhead. I know a local fellow that mills up to 48" with an Echo 8000. He's a two-three time a year miller.

I live down in Louisiana and will be mostly cutting Oak and Cypress. Working with wood is a hobby of mine not a full time job. My question is can I get away with milling on a 660 using a 42in bar vs having to get the 880? I'll only use it for milling maybe 5 times a year on trees with a diameter of about 3-4ft.
My avatar shows ms-460 Alaskan 60" cannon which carries a skip chisel Oregon chain. The powerhead pulls that chain well with a 42" bar thru white oak or ash here in Missouri . Now that I have a 661 cuts are quicker using same chain ( reel not empty yet) and it throws chips about 9 feet. Chain sharpness more important . 660 should carry you very well with sharp cutters & right raker height IMHO.

I've been milling maple and fir with my 36" granberg and ms660. If you let the saw do its work and don't force it through the cut then it's slow, but steady. I usually have an 038 Super for smaller milling jobs with a 20" bar, but recently used the ms660 and what a difference! If you don't mind taking your time and letting the saw do the work then you should be fine for as little use you've projected using it. Although I have recently purchased an ms880 for the sole purpose of faster cut times and larger wood capabilities. I still use my ms660 for felling and wouldn't want to burn it up for the sole purpose of seeing how big of bar I can mill with.

Lots of guys are milling with the 660 and 36" mills. Just don't try setting production records and you'll be fine. A typical 36" mill can handle 33" width logs max. Here's mine with the 42" bar ready to go in the mill:
thumbnail_20170305_182450.jpg

My avatar shows ms-460 Alaskan 60" cannon which carries a skip chisel Oregon chain. The powerhead pulls that chain well with a 42" bar thru white oak or ash here in Missouri . Now that I have a 661 cuts are quicker using same chain ( reel not empty yet) and it throws chips about 9 feet. Chain sharpness more important . 660 should carry you very well with sharp cutters & right raker height IMHO.

I have a full skip chisel Oregon chain, do I need a Ripping Chain for milling? Also, would you suggest a standard for felling?

I have a full skip chisel Oregon chain, do I need a Ripping Chain for milling? Also, would you suggest a standard for felling?
You are on track with your ripping thoughts, your can regrind a standard chain to 0 to 10 / 50 / 0 to -10 and it will work for you. Your skip will fell just fine.

I rarely fell, I've used carlton ripping which bogged down my ms-460 part way thru wide cuts. As Bobl has indicated from time to time even travel/push down the log holding the bar angle to log even (not rocking back and forth) plays a larger part in quality of surface than which chain. Learn sharpening ,including raker height, to provide best cutter you can. Slab safe

I rarely fell, I've used carlton ripping which bogged down my ms-460 part way thru wide cuts. As Bobl has indicated from time to time even travel/push down the log holding the bar angle to log even (not rocking back and forth) plays a larger part in quality of surface than which chain. Learn sharpening ,including raker height, to provide best cutter you can. Slab safe
That Red Oak I posted was cut with cheap Archer TriLink white box (no longer available) which was reground to 10/50/-10 for ripping.

That Red Oak I posted was cut with cheap Archer TriLink white box (no longer available) which was reground to 10/50/-10 for ripping.

I've seen a lot of youtube videos about custom grinding to become a ripping chain, just makes me nervous because I've never done it and I would hate to get it off balance. That red Oak looks outstanding! Have you used the Grandberg 12 volt sharpener?

I've seen a lot of youtube videos about custom grinding to become a ripping chain, just makes me nervous because I've never done it and I would hate to get it off balance. That red Oak looks outstanding! Have you used the Grandberg 12 volt sharpener?
Chinese 410-120 copy was used. Picked it up for $69 shipped.
20170223_182025.jpg 20170223_182107.jpg

I run a 50" bar and 48" mill on my 661. It pulls it just fine. To start, just use whatever chain you have. It will work fine. I start out with a standard chain and slowly adjust the angles each time I sharpen. Sure, the lower angles provide a bit of a smoother surface, but it's no deal-breaker at 30 degrees. The rest of your setup and your technique have a much larger impact.

I run a 50" bar and 48" mill on my 661. It pulls it just fine. To start, just use whatever chain you have. It will work fine. I start out with a standard chain and slowly adjust the angles each time I sharpen. Sure, the lower angles provide a bit of a smoother surface, but it's no deal-breaker at 30 degrees. The rest of your setup and your technique have a much larger impact.
Re profiling does not shorten the life of the chain at all...only the corner or hook should is removed until the new angle meets the inside edge of the top plate. The 50 deg top plate makes for easy cutting in hard wood. On smaller saws I have used in the past, I found, if trying to rip with standard chain, the much sharper side plate/gullet would gouge the face of the slab terribly...I believe that was in some red oak also.

I was going to get a 42 or 47 inch bar when I got my 660. I told the salesman I was going to use it for milling and he said no problem. I had 25", 36" and 47" bars and was ready to check out and he said I might want to wait and get the 47" bar later, it would void my warranty. Every time I get a few bucks together to buy a 47" bar, I buy another gun instead, Joe.

I was going to get a 42 or 47 inch bar when I got my 660. I told the salesman I was going to use it for milling and he said no problem. I had 25", 36" and 47" bars and was ready to check out and he said I might want to wait and get the 47" bar later, it would void my warranty. Every time I get a few bucks together to buy a 47" bar, I buy another gun instead, Joe.
I picked up the new 42" PowerMatch for $80 shipped...it fits the 36" mill perfectly. If you can still find them at that price, stock up. The dealer said the price will likely jump before much longer.

Latest posts

Back