MS 880 Broken Crank Answers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You cant get to the screws to split the case with the clutch on. You'll have to drop a wooden wedge in the front of the case and rest the lobe on it then give it heaps, the 88's love locking the clutches on super tight, i reckon i have broken half a dozen spiders over the years although a little heat never goes astray. Best of luck finding a crank for it anyway, they are as rare as shark s h i t in the desert, if you have someone over there that can press the pins i have one here with a failed big end you can have, also, if you do end up dicking the case (which i highly doubt) i have numerous cases here...

Thanks wally its a customers saw dealer was going to order crank and other parts if the cust wants to fix it i may buy it if the price is right im doing it for them they dont have time im thinkin grind 2 flats on crank and put in vise then use a 6 point wrench and see if i can get it off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks wally its a customers saw dealer was going to order crank and other parts if the cust wants to fix it i may buy it if the price is right im doing it for them they dont have time im thinkin grind 2 flats on crank and put in vise then use a 6 point wrench and see if i can get it off

Just out of interest (and don't take this the wrong way) you are trying to undo it right (clockwise) aren't you...

Yeah its fun to figure out to fix them but there aint many solutions on this one

Would heat on the clutch spider help

I've never had a clutch I couldn't get off. This saw having an inboard clutch won't have a nut to crank on like some of the bigger outboard clutch saws. If you have a large socket you don't care about take a grinder to it and make a clutch removal tool. That way you can stand on the saw and take the clutch off with that tool and a breaker bar. Comes off like nothing. Then slot a board so rod can fit through then put a pin in the small end to stop from coming through and crank on the clutch clockwise while crank is on the down stroke. This is probably a solution that would take the longest but once you got it you'd almost **** how easy it came off.

Well there ya go. Should be real easy to get off unless that crank half is spinning in the case.

Latest posts

Back