MS 880 Broken Crank Answers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get it off yet Mike?

Just lock that stub in some vice grips.......Got a big ass vice?

The problem he's having is that the crank is turning out of phase, and bearing against the case.....he's worried it may crack the case.

Never tried this but it might work. Get the piece of crank in the best position, put the jug on and fill the case and jug with water. Leave the carb and muffler off for expansion. Put it in grocery bag and then put it in the deep freeze for a day or two. Most importantly, tell the missus it is a big thanksgiving turkey. Once frozen solid, heat the nut and them impact. Go get a turkey.

Will a strap wrench fit around it? Or maybe weld an old wrench or tire iron to the crank bell so you can hang on to it.

Never tried this but it might work. Get the piece of crank in the best position, put the jug on and fill the case and jug with water. Leave the carb and muffler off for expansion. Put it in grocery bag and then put it in the deep freeze for a day or two. Most importantly, tell the missus it is a big thanksgiving turkey. Once frozen solid, heat the nut and them impact. Go get a turkey.
You would more than likely crack the case that way, or do further damage internally

I think that is Mike's plan if all else fails. Better to kill the spider than the case I say.

Yep they are a dime a dozen, i have heaps of them here, but am still surprised that it wont undo i have never come across one so troublesome.

It's just where the crank is busted......it's rotating out of phase and wedging against the case.

It's apart...now what?
ee1bc8c74e55df1bdc5e842fa62e6575.jpg
4464572c97de30d3b780531b4eed82d6.jpg
528672ec6f8ab23cefe5ca5fba9c0743.jpg

Latest posts

Back