ms170 loose bearing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blairito

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I rebuilt my ms170 with a farmer tech 38mm cylinder and piston, new crank and bearings, seals eat, i used the poem bottom clamshell , ran the saw for a few weeks, it ran great, then It was running erratic and would bog, i noticed some scoring on the flywheel, i then could feel up and down play from the flywheel , I thought it was the bearing, upon tearing it down the bearing is fine, the play is it the clamshell bearing retainer, seems like the bearing either spun or the tolerances are off, not sure what to do here.
its my beater saw, adjustable carb, muffler mod. but I like having a light saw to use
any input or experience with the issue would be appreceiated

everything was farmertec except the bottom clam and circlips.
so i should just replace the cylinder then

i have decided to go back to the factory 37mm cylinder, i ordered new rings and seals, plus a flywheel that was damaged due to the movement, it was in great shape before i put on the 38mm

The 017 module is bigger and will not mount to the 018 cylinder. They changed the mounting slightly on the cylinder so you'd have to buy the smaller module if you make the change over to an 018. Of course if you have the later 017 you're all set.

Back