MS170 to Scout camp, chain stretch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anlrolfe

Honor GOD, Country and Corps
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Took the augmented MS170 to Scout camp for firewood duty. The Hutzle long block 180 replacement is still settling in with just a few hours run time. It takes up little room and chewed up enough downed trees/limbs to feed the fire pit. Ran just shy of 1-tank fuel and the chain is getting loose already. I'm getting righteous with the bar nuts. The side cover is plastic, never been a fan of that.This has been upgraded from front to the side bar adjuster. It has a replacement Forster B&C that I bought super cheap. I'm tightening things the sames as w/ my other saws but this thing is either stretching or loosening. Spur drive is practically new w/ no wear. My money is on the chain. Never had a Stihl chain do this.

Suggestions??

It's the chain. Forester chains are junk. You should also check to make sure the oiler is functioning.

Oiler is fine. These never put out as much as I'd like but fine still the same. When I got this I wanted to rebuild it on the cheap for a camp/truck saw and its working ok for that. Half tank of gas is typical run time and all it takes for the fire pit. I've already got a spare new Stihl chain but I'll run this down to the quick first. Get every cheap ars nickel out of it before I swap unless it pizzes me off and I may just chuck it.

Sounds like the chain is stretching. I think even the good chains like Stihl, in the 050 picco or 043 gauges, will stretch because they are just really cheaply made with thin materials. Also, sounds like you have worked up that 170 (with 180 block) so that it makes some mean power for its size. I'd just keep adjusting as needed, run a little heavier chain oil, and have fun with it!!! Wish I has one like it as I need to start walking the woods cutting grapevines! (I am ashamed to say I've let them go until I have some as big around as my arm!)

Which chain? Picco 050 or 043

Its the standard .043"

I'm suspect of this thin material anyway but thought for this small saw the less rolling metal the better.

Keep the RPM's up, let it do the work and this Lil' bugger will cut. No delusions of Ax Men here, just easier and faster than the hand held bow saw.

Latest posts

Back