MS180 - Woods Porting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amazing...

Nice work Brad!! I'm gonna have to give it a try and tear one down all the way like you do...Seein how people helps and all the imput...So glad I found and joined this sight...
Oh,,with the 10-10 you are doin over too..How is that coming along???
Anyways,,good to see your busy and keep us informed!!!!

Air impact has worked fine for me. Does take some care though, it can put a lot of force on things if cranked up and lots of air pressure. Also once it breaks the thread loose it can spin up the RPM and spin the clutch apart. So just give short taps on the trigger and start with impact set low or air pressure cranked down.

Always a possibility of breaking a crank, but with air impact the force is rotational, cranking on it with a long bar is more likely to bend the end of the crank as there is a sideways force as well as rotational.

Good point lake on putting the tabs of the plastic ring tool over the bearing hole I can see that could work in some cases.

Last edited:
The cylinder's ready to go. I majorly worked over the exhaust port. The intake I was not able to widen as thought because of the ring ends. I squared up lowered the intake. It was extremely difficult to chamfer the ports with it being so small. These closeup pics make it look a lot rougher than it is. This was not an easy job because of the size.

No, I didn't polish the exhaust.
370412622_EZuAx-M.jpg
370541169_qAswy-M.jpg

You can see that I didn't raise the center of the exhaust port at all. The NiSi is still there. I square it up and widened it.
370412500_d8tHj-M.jpg
370541116_7e3yM-M.jpg

370412603_B9F3L-M.jpg
370541125_dYTwt-M.jpg

370412419_ubWjQ-M.jpg
370541201_kaKPm-M.jpg

Last edited:
Titanium piston?

Brad, that is really cool that you can port such a small saw. I would be afraid of ruining it. That sucks about the piston. I use the metal stop all the time. I had no idea there was a risk of holing the piston. $88 for a tiny piston is highway robbery! I can't believe it. But a new oem piston for an 028 Super is 92.00 from my dealer. So go figure. Prety impressive work on that little saw!:clap:

Brad, that is really cool that you can port such a small saw. I would be afraid of ruining it. That sucks about the piston. I use the metal stop all the time. I had no idea there was a risk of holing the piston. $88 for a tiny piston is highway robbery! I can't believe it. But a new oem piston for an 028 Super is 92.00 from my dealer. So go figure. Prety impressive work on that little saw!:clap:

Yes $88 seems high for small piston...........but what's the different from
a small one and a big one, maybe a dime's worth of aluminum. Some
time the smaller thing's are, the harder is to make.

Anything special on the piston? The new one that is...:)

Excellent thread Brad.

Edit: Trying to figure out what I want to get out of one (or two) of my 371's, gonna start reading the two-stroke tuners handbook tonight and taking it slow.

Last edited:
What model Stihl saws are clam shells? $88 for the piston, is 1/3 of the price of a new saw.

Shindaiwa's smallest saw has a magnesium case and 'pro-style' vertical cylinder.

What size is the piston, maybe something else out there for a piston anyway seing it's going to be modified.

I still haven't replaced the flywheel, so the timing my be a little off affecting the peak output of the saw. However, it's running very well. This little video was taken by my sister while we were cleaning up from the winds of Hurricane Ike here in Ohio. The saw is wearing a 14" bar with Carlton .043 guage chain. Towards the end of the clip I make a sustained cut in about 10" Locust. It's not a big hungry chain that flies through the wood, but notice the RPMs the saw holds through the cut. I really need to run it side-by-side with my Dad's stock 180.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MMZSkGi6CTY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MMZSkGi6CTY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I still haven't replaced the flywheel, so the timing my be a little off affecting the peak output of the saw. However, it's running very well. This little video was taken by my sister while we were cleaning up from the winds of Hurricane Ike here in Ohio. The saw is wearing a 14" bar with Carlton .043 guage chain. Towards the end of the clip I make a sustained cut in about 10" Locust. It's not a big hungry chain that flies through the wood, but notice the RPMs the saw holds through the cut. I really need to run it side-by-side with my Dad's stock 180.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MMZSkGi6CTY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MMZSkGi6CTY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

WOW Brad that 180 is on the heals of wanab's 346NE...........

Glad it all worked for ya....

Back