MS180C Capabilities

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought you guys might get a kick out of this. Just for grins I cut an ash stump off with my MS180. I wouldn't recommend it. It took about 10 minutes with a freshly sharpened full chisel chain. I definitely don't want to do it again!View attachment 896219
Lee

At least you know it'll get you by in pinch, nice cut.

I've been quite impressed with my MS170. Its the perfect saw to keep on my ATV for clearing trails. Its lightweight, and handy for clearing large branches and small trees. Glad to see your 180 putting in some work.

Super happy with my MS 180, especially for the money. It's not a pro saw but for under $200 it's fantastic. REALLY impressed with it after putting on a stihl 12" lightweight bar and yellow chain

We use a 170 for notching poles building pole barns. So a lot of cutting with the grain on 6x6 or 8x8 and it has been a very tough reliable saw. Besides when you slip it between the headers to mark poles some times the top cover comes off and you don’t realize it. So it’s ingested some saw dust over time.

Well, I stand corrected. It is semi chisel. It seems to be closer to chisel than the Stihl green chain and it cuts much better in my opinion.

I love the saw for limbing trees and cutting trails. My only problem is I believe it has an air leak when cold. It idles high but settles down when it warms up. I think it was built in 2004. I'm pretty sure the crank seals could be hard. I installed an an adjustable carb so the full throttle rpm is at 12.5k. My dilemma is do I fix this one or run it till it burns down and then replace it. The oil pump also is weak and needs to be replaced. About how long does it take to tear one of these down to reseal the clamshell?

Thanks,
Lee

For what it is, and if you don’t set your expectations as if it’s a pro machine, the MS180 is a lot of fun.
Guilty pleasure of mine I suppose, but if it’s running and oiling right, it’s a hoot :)

Crank seals or quite likely it could be leaking where your cylinder meets the bottom 1/2 of the crank case. Clean and reseal usually does the trick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tore the old MS180 apart this evening. My suspicions were correct. Crank seals are hard as a rock and the lower crankcase just fell off when I loosened the screws. The intake boot is also hard and flat where the carb seals to it. The piston, bearings and cylinder look really nice. Would you guys put new rings in it?
20210414_233229.jpg
20210414_233216.jpg
20210414_232309.jpg
According to the sticker this saw was made in 2000. It owes me absolutely nothing.
Now to get prices on everything to see if its worth repairing or if I should just replace it.
Lee

If it’s a hobby personal thing heck yea fix it. If you flip chainsaws no way. I have a love hate relationship with these $180 (or cheaper on sale saws) as it’s crazy easy to get upside down on them. Imho all ms170/180 parts seem crazy expensive for whatever reason, compared to other stihl saws. I suspect to push homeowners to buy a new saw

I don’t resell for profit, just enjoy tinkering and passing them on to folks in a bind. I won’t touch them unless near mint and less than $50 as parts are so expensive

Thanks guys,
Got the quote from my $tihl dealer. It was $117.00! It's $50 for aftermarket parts from HL Supply. As much as I hate the aftermarket stuff I think I will put it together with it and sell it for $125 or so. Not sure yet though. Anyone want a box of parts for $50?
Thanks for the info Harley.
Lee

Latest posts

Back