MS180C Capabilities

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bet if you added up "stihl parts cost" for a ms170/180 it would be a $1500 saw

I'm seeing Chinese seals and intake boots for less than $8/ea shipped. What makes up the rest of the $50 in parts. Personally I'd make a mission out of getting into a solid saw for as cheap as possible. If the rest of the stuff is good (bar and chain, carb) you should be able to get it going for cheap

If it were me, I'd put it back together and sell it as-is for $30-40. Unless you just want to tinker with it. It's area dependent but here, if you keep an eye out you can get thesein slightly rough shape for $40-50 just needing a carb kit. An excellent condition rarely used runner is $75-100.

If it were me, I'd put it back together and sell it as-is for $30-40. Unless you just want to tinker with it. It's area dependent but here, if you keep an eye out you can get thesein slightly rough shape for $40-50 just needing a carb kit. An excellent condition rarely used runner is $75-100.
Stihl saws go for crazy money around here. Beat up MS 290s for $150-250. Probably not what they get but that's what they ask. I figure if I can get $75 for it I'll be happy. Thanks again for the tips and advice.
Lee

Good luck! Curious what it sells for. I’m in “stihl country” no one would dare to be seen with a husky or god forbid makita/dolmar.

Got my first Stihl clamshell engine back together. Used seals and Caber Rings from HL Supply. Sealed the pan with Motoseal. 16189718623121398648449486813554.jpg
I'll let it set up for a couple days and then put this thing back together. When putting the engine back into the plastic is it best to attach the intake boot to the engine first or put the boot in the plastic saw body and attach it to the engine when reassembling?
Thanks

16191481611807422022123258276488.jpg
Got the little guy together. Added some mix to the gas tank and filled the bar oil tank. 6 pulls and she sputtered, flipped the choke up a notch and it started the next pull. Let it warm up a bit and then revved it up. The bar oils better than it has in 4 years. I got a cheap .050 Oregon bar because I have about 10 chains from the old bar. I also have a nice .043 Stihl bar that the dealer sold me. I was in a rush and ran it without checking the gauge. Now I have two gauges of 3/8 low profile chains. :rare2:

Now I'll run a few tanks through it and get it tuned up. I'll make sure everything is good and I'll sell it.

I think I will keep the Stihl bar and put it on my KM pole pruner. I'm not a fan of the 1/4" chain on it.

Lee

I ran 3 tanks through it this weekend. It ran really well. I don't think the rings are fully seated yet. It oils nicely now and doesn't over rev when cold like it used to. I forgot to mention that I filed the key on the flywheel a little bit to advance the timing a little. It seems to have a little more power.

Now I have a conundrum. Whether or not sell it.

Back