MS192TC questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bwoell14

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Came across a MS192TC for sale for $150. The guy says he replaced the carb when he got and uses it as a backup saw. He says he hasn’t ran it in 2 months. It starts but bogs down at full throttle. Pics look pretty clean.

My concerns are getting eaten up with repair costs. A new 193T is around $330. Anybody have any knowledge/experience with getting replacement parts for a 192TC and are they cost effective?
6b7174588248b13b6095f2d9b83696f6.jpg
ff78ed4fcbf55eb312105f7cfc53f977.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have had a 192 and I thought it was a nice light saw. Great running saw for limbing. If your able to compression check it or get it the seller to thats where I'd start. Sounds like the carb needs to be tuned properly. I think for a $150 its not a bad gamble. Parts are readily available. Thats an easy saw also to work on. Also with a new carb that has been sitting for two years baking in hot Florida makes a recipe for a gummed up carb for sure. Do you have any knowledge in breaking down and cleaning carbs?

I have had a 192 and I thought it was a nice light saw. Great running saw for limbing. If your able to compression check it or get it the seller to thats where I'd start. Sounds like the carb needs to be tuned properly. I think for a $150 its not a bad gamble. Parts are readily available. Thats an easy saw also to work on. Also with a new carb that has been sitting for two years baking in hot Florida makes a recipe for a gummed up carb for sure. Do you have any knowledge in breaking down and cleaning carbs?

Thanks for the advice. No, I have knowledge or experience in breaking down and cleaning a carb. I am eager to learn though and I’m good with YouTube!

My main concern was buying it, getting $100 into it and then wishing I would just spent the extra $70 and got the newer brand new 193T.

Thanks for the advice. No, I have knowledge or experience in breaking down and cleaning a carb. I am eager to learn though and I’m good with YouTube!

My main concern was buying it, getting $100 into it and then wishing I would just spent the extra $70 and got the newer brand new 193T.

They are great little saws, but I find them hard to get tuned to run 100%. That being said they still have a very good power to weight ratio, and can be modded(muffler and timing) so that they perform even better.
If you want to learn there is many times a cost involved, so it's not always good to evaluate the learning based on buying the product new.
Earlier this month I went to rigging school 101, and smashed my truck up pretty bad. If I thought well hey I should have let someone else do the job I would have skipped a lot of the jobs I did this summer, and would not have made the great money I made. No risk, no reward/low reward, you must decide your level of risk and where you want to go with it.
I think that you could ask if he's firm on the price and if he says no ask what he would take. Also remember you will be paying 70 plus taxes for a little customer service/warranty.
As JR said one of the biggest issues is probably going to be cleaning the carb/a carb kit if cleaning it doesn't work, parts for that shouldn't be bad if the cylinder/rings are in good condition.
What do you plan to do with the saw.
Brett

They are great little saws, but I find them hard to get tuned to run 100%. That being said they still have a very good power to weight ratio, and can be modded(muffler and timing) so that they perform even better.
If you want to learn there is many times a cost involved, so it's not always good to evaluate the learning based on buying the product new.
Earlier this month I went to rigging school 101, and smashed my truck up pretty bad. If I thought well hey I should have let someone else do the job I would have skipped a lot of the jobs I did this summer, and would not have made the great money I made. No risk, no reward/low reward, you must decide your level of risk and where you want to go with it.
I think that you could ask if he's firm on the price and if he says no ask what he would take. Also remember you will be paying 70 plus taxes for a little customer service/warranty.
As JR said one of the biggest issues is probably going to be cleaning the carb/a carb kit if cleaning it doesn't work, parts for that shouldn't be bad if the cylinder/rings are in good condition.
What do you plan to do with the saw.
Brett

All valid points. Initially, he said $135 was the lowest he’d go. It comes with 2 new chains too. Probably splitting hairs but I offered him $125 for it. We’ll see.

I operate a small tree service on the side. I’m doing good and staying as busy as I’d like to and making money. I’m accumulating equipment when I can as I come across it. This saw would be used for small stuff instead of lugging the bigger saws up a ladder.

Current saws:
Echo CS400 (bought new)
MS291 (bought new)
MS362 (bought new)
Echo pole saw (used)

All valid points. Initially, he said $135 was the lowest he’d go. It comes with 2 new chains too. Probably splitting hairs but I offered him $125 for it. We’ll see.

I operate a small tree service on the side. I’m doing good and staying as busy as I’d like to and making money. I’m accumulating equipment when I can as I come across it. This saw would be used for small stuff instead of lugging the bigger saws up a ladder.

Current saws:
Echo CS400 (bought new)
MS291 (bought new)
MS362 (bought new)
Echo pole saw (used)

Hell you didnt say $125, I would buy that myself. The way I look at a gamble is "can I easily get back what I paid for it" and with that you can, hell you can probably sell it off for $150-$175. Remember "theres an ass for every seat"

Also the majority of carbs I work on dont even need a kit. As I disassemble, I inspect the diaphrams and such, id the y are in good shape and not stiff or curling up, you can reuse them. If your hell bent on a new kit there less then $10. I use brake cleaner to spray out all the passages and a old tooth brush to clean it up, i find it works better, but thats me. Just be sure not to fully press any spray while your doing it or youll find out fast that it dont mix well with your eyes.

Hell you didnt say $125, I would buy that myself. The way I look at a gamble is "can I easily get back what I paid for it" and with that you can, hell you can probably sell it off for $150-$175. Remember "theres an ass for every seat"

Going to meet him now for it for $125. Also has to brand new chains in the box. Figured the chains are worth $25 each so I’m getting the saw for $75. On eBay, new Chinese carbs are $27 and used OEM Stihl carbs are $27. I’ll add pics and video when I get it.

Going to meet him now for it for $125. Also has to brand new chains in the box. Figured the chains are worth $25 each so I’m getting the saw for $75. On eBay, new Chinese carbs are $27 and used OEM Stihl carbs are $27. I’ll add pics and video when I get it.

Thays a deal! You cant lose. Ive had luck with Chinese carbs (which may ne on that already) but if he did replace ot with an OEM, I would remove it and clean it any give it a go. I would actually retune it before I even remove it. The high needle may need to be opened up a bit. Post back after you get it and we will walk you through how to do that.

Thays a deal! You cant lose. Ive had luck with Chinese carbs (which may ne on that already) but if he did replace ot with an OEM, I would remove it and clean it any give it a go. I would actually retune it before I even remove it. The high needle may need to be opened up a bit. Post back after you get it and we will walk you through how to do that.

Awesome, thanks so much! I asked if it was OEM and he didn’t answer so I assume it’s not.

Awesome, thanks so much! I asked if it was OEM and he didn’t answer so I assume it’s not.

When you get it, youll be able to see on the side if it says ZAMA forget which it had on there. Post pics when you get it.

Well, just before meeting up with the guy, he sent a text saying his little brother wants the saw so he’s selling it to him. Guess he got a better offer. All that for nothing.

Thanks for all the help and advice.

Well, just before meeting up with the guy, he sent a text saying his little brother wants the saw so he’s selling it to him. Guess he got a better offer. All that for nothing.

Sorry that happened, been there dealt with that :nofunny:.
What city are you in.

Current saws:
Echo CS400 (bought new)
MS291 (bought new)
MS362 (bought new)
Echo pole saw (used)

I had a 192T that grew legs one night. Wish I had it back, sweet runner and easy starting. My replacement 193T is one real bear to pull Pulls harder, way harder than my 441 Magnum. I still wouldn't be without a top handle, makes cutting branches off a tree go much fast.

That sucks. Total BS when they do that. He probably wants to get mire money out of it. But like you said a new one is only $330. Just build the saw cost into a job quote.

Back