MS200T cylinder replacement questions....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MIKE_R

Reaction score
I'm in the middle of replacing the cylinder and piston in an MS200T that got gas with no oil. The saw has very low hours, and is in fantastic shape, other than a badly scored cylinder.

I have never worked on a saw before, things seem straightforward so far, but a couple things concerned me.

1). I used a considerable amount of force to pry the rubber intake manifold off the cylinder. I was prying up on the white square fitting around the rubber intake, but that pulled the whole manifold off. The inside of the manifold looks fine, but I'm worried about air leaks when I reassemble the saw. Is this just how the intake comes off? or should I replace it if I am concerned?

2). The cylinder bolts "popped" loose like they were torqued close to the limits of what the threads could tolerate.... I read some posts that most don't use a torque wrench to re-tighten, but I'm concerned about getting the bolts tight enough without stripping them. Does anyone have the specs for the torque on these screws, or better yet the service manual?

3). Big rookie question: How to clean out sawdust? My usual approach to cleaning things like this is to spray it down with mineral spirits, then blow everything off with compressed air, but never working on a chainsaw before, I have not encountered this magic sawdust/chain oil mixture which seems to embalm the entire saw. Is mineral spirits a good approach, or is there a better way?

Don't know about mineral spirits, but my saws love compressed air baths. A clean saw is a happy saw. Check your inbox, I've sent you some reading material that may help.

AH! The note to use Loctite 272 was really helpful. That's why the bolts went POP when I loosened them.

Latest posts

Back