MS200T still won't run right

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bosco659

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Well here is my story. I inherited an MS200T from my brother in law because he scored the piston and bore with cheap gas.

I replaced the cylinder and piston, rebuilt the carb and put it back together and it sat for over a year. Tried to start it recently and set the carb and no go. It would start fine but wouldn't take any throttle. I then figured while I had it apart I should have installed new crank seals. Apart it came again, installed crank seals and I tried to fire it up again today. Same thing - starts up ok but a little throttle and it stalls.

I did a crankcase pressure and vacuum test after replacing the crank seals and everything was good. Compression is about 155 psi, spark is strong, all rubber on the intake side is crack and damage free. The only thing left is the carb. My brother in law said it ran fine up until he scored the piston and I did rebuild the carb so I am surprised that the carb may be bad.

Any ideas before I open my wallet one last time for a carb? I'm in so deep with this saw that I have to keep going and get it running right:).

Take the carb off and clean everything again inc under the mix screws and metering lever

Buy the carb cleaner from farm and fleet, it comes in a gallon can, it has a rack that you can use to soak the carb.

If it's not the carb, I had this same issue with mine. Would idle but bog with any throttle, I modded the muffler and advanced the timing, and it has ran like a rapped ape ever since.

I cleaned the carb again in my ultrasonic cleaner and left it in for about 1 hour. Blew it out with compressed air, checked all visible orifices and made sure they were clean. Put the saw back together and same problem.

The saw fires an full choke and when the choke is placed in the second (half closed) position it will start up. If left on half choke it will run longer than with the choke off. I blip the throttle to release the choke and it will not take any fuel when I apply any throttle. It will run for about 5 seconds and will die like it ran out of fuel. If I try to start it again right away it will run but the same way - will fire on full choke then start on half choke then die in about 5 seconds.

Is it time for a new carb?? Any other thoughts?

Thanks

I cleaned the carb again in my ultrasonic cleaner and left it in for about 1 hour. Blew it out with compressed air, checked all visible orifices and made sure they were clean. Put the saw back together and same problem.

The saw fires an full choke and when the choke is placed in the second (half closed) position it will start up. If left on half choke it will run longer than with the choke off. I blip the throttle to release the choke and it will not take any fuel when I apply any throttle. It will run for about 5 seconds and will die like it ran out of fuel. If I try to start it again right away it will run but the same way - will fire on full choke then start on half choke then die in about 5 seconds.

Is it time for a new carb?? Any other thoughts?

Thanks
Either you have a vac leak possible atIMG_0057.JPG the impulse line or the carb is bad . I have a way you can try to fix the carb before you buy new. Does your carb have the plate that the green arrow is pointing to?

Hate to be mean, but you need to step back and try to fix this saw correctly, but from your rambling description I am doubting that very
little has been done correctly.....

Either you have a vac leak possible atView attachment 396425 the impulse line or the carb is bad . I have a way you can try to fix the carb before you buy new. Does your carb have the plate that the green arrow is pointing to?
Yes it does have that plate. The impulse line was replaced when I installed the crank seals.

The carbs on the 200T had a problem with the accelerator pumps wearing out the bore they travel in, scoring the throttle cross shaft and replacing the accelerator pump was a short term solution due the the wear in the bore and the scring on the shaft. Many on here pulled the accelerator pump, plugged the bore with JB Weld and just tuned the saw to work with the two mixture screws. Acceleration of the saw was not quite as snappy but the saw ran great otherwise. A new carb will make it run like new if all the other problems have already been dealt with.

Hate to be mean, but you need to step back and try to fix this saw correctly, but from your rambling description I am doubting that very
little has been done correctly.....
Sorry if my description of the work done or the problems I am having are not stated clearly.

Your assumption that nothing has been done correctly couldn't be further from the truth - all work done on this saw has been done properly

Maybe you can tell me how to "fix this this saw correctly" and I can tell you if those steps have been followed - that would be helpful instead of your sarcastic comments.

Sorry if my description of the work done or the problems I am having are not stated clearly.

Your assumption that nothing has been done correctly couldn't be further from the truth - all work done on this saw has been done properly

Maybe you can tell me how to "fix this this saw correctly" and I can tell you if those steps have been followed - that would be helpful instead of your sarcastic comments.
Ignore him and lets get it running OK? He does this all the time.

Back