MS200T still won't run right

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welch plug removed and JB Weld in place. Need to wait 24 hours for it to cure then I will fire it up and report if this helped. Thanks for the tip.

I got hold of a work 200t yesterday with a C1Q carb, welsh plug next to metering lever. Stumbling off idle, dying at tickover and not quite enough top end. Any suggestions? Completely stripped and cleaned the carb, new diaphrams, I'll try it tomorrow

Ports that go to accelerator pump. It fixes a leak in acc pump like when the saw goes bwaw bwaw bwaw when you hit the throttle.

Ok, thanks. I didn't think mine had an accelerator pump. I have no plug over the throttle plate shaft just a hole that saw dust gets into and makes throttle plate not close all the way. I plugged it so I don't have to clean out all the time. Mine is a 96A.

Ok, thanks. I didn't think mine had an accelerator pump. I have no plug over the throttle plate shaft just a hole that saw dust gets into and makes throttle plate not close all the way. I plugged it so I don't have to clean out all the time. Mine is a 96A.
Some don't there are a dozen or so
carbs for those saws listed.

Mine has no plug under filter housing, just one by metering lever, tried it this morning and it won't run for more than 5 secs.

C1Q carb

The carb just plain wears out on 200T's. I've got a few and I find they need a new carb once a year if used daily in a professional setting. I've tried rebuilding the carbs and it's very hit and miss. Who knows what causes it.... gunk in the extremely small passageways, worn accelerator pumps, worn needles, valves, diaphragms or maybe the little pixies inside get tired. What I do know is that when a 200T has lost it's zazz and you're thinking of trading it in or selling it to someone you like at a cheap price or someone you don't at full price, you could have put a new carb in it and it would have been just as strong as new. You can **** around stripping it and rebuilding it a half dozen times, wondering each time if you got it right, glues, files, kits or whatever you like and still wonder each time you get up the tree if the thing is going to run right (especially if it's your only climbing saw!) or you can just put in a new carb in about 2 mins and get on with life.

Actually, I spoke out of turn. Let me go back. When a 200T is tired, wont idle or run right, it's just plain wore out. Try the rebuild kits a few times, then put some glue in and if it still doesn't run right or is down on power then it's had its day. I'll buy it off you for $200 just cause I'm a nice guy. I'll even let you keep the carb.

The carb just plain wears out on 200T's. I've got a few and I find they need a new carb once a year if used daily in a professional setting. I've tried rebuilding the carbs and it's very hit and miss. Who knows what causes it.... gunk in the extremely small passageways, worn accelerator pumps, worn needles, valves, diaphragms or maybe the little pixies inside get tired. What I do know is that when a 200T has lost it's zazz and you're thinking of trading it in or selling it to someone you like at a cheap price or someone you don't at full price, you could have put a new carb in it and it would have been just as strong as new. You can **** around stripping it and rebuilding it a half dozen times, wondering each time if you got it right, glues, files, kits or whatever you like and still wonder each time you get up the tree if the thing is going to run right (especially if it's your only climbing saw!) or you can just put in a new carb in about 2 mins and get on with life.

Actually, I spoke out of turn. Let me go back. When a 200T is tired, wont idle or run right, it's just plain wore out. Try the rebuild kits a few times, then put some glue in and if it still doesn't run right or is down on power then it's had its day. I'll buy it off you for $200 just cause I'm a nice guy. I'll even let you keep the carb.
:laughing:

Well I tried the "JB Weld mod". I had to keep adding more epoxy because it kept sinking into one of the small orifices under the welch plug. After several applications I got it built up enough to fill all holes and depressions. After it cured 24 hours, I carefully flat filed the excess material (epoxy) from the face of the carb and then lapped it smooth on a flat plate with a very fine emery cloth.

I reassembled it and fired it up today. It started fairly quickly snd after a bit of adjustment on the mixture screws, I had it running great! I did have to richen both the low and high speed circuits beyond the "normal" needle positions of 1 turn and 3/4 turn out. I really don't notice any hesitation with the accelerator pump disabled. Just need to test it under load but I'm sure it will be fine.

I'm very happy with the result of this simple mod and thank those people who directed me to do this! Saved me quite a bit of money. :)

Thanks again. I appreciate the help that I receive from this forum!

Just wondering if this problem is peculiar to the MS200 carbs or many small engine carbs?

Well I tried the "JB Weld mod". I had to keep adding more epoxy because it kept sinking into one of the small orifices under the welch plug. After several applications I got it built up enough to fill all holes and depressions. After it cured 24 hours, I carefully flat filed the excess material (epoxy) from the face of the carb and then lapped it smooth on a flat plate with a very fine emery cloth.

I reassembled it and fired it up today. It started fairly quickly snd after a bit of adjustment on the mixture screws, I had it running great! I did have to richen both the low and high speed circuits beyond the "normal" needle positions of 1 turn and 3/4 turn out. I really don't notice any hesitation with the accelerator pump disabled. Just need to test it under load but I'm sure it will be fine.

I'm very happy with the result of this simple mod and thank those people who directed me to do this! Saved me quite a bit of money. :)

Thanks again. I appreciate he help that I receive from this forum!

:happybanana: :dancing: :guitar:

Latest posts

Back