Ms200t

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsd176

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm going to be taking down a few large white pines for my parents this summer and I'm probably going to climb them to get them on the ground.
I've done some work for my buddy removing a few dead limbs from his maple tree. For the majority of that job I just used my hand saw. There were two or three limbs/ stubs tough that I had to use my MS361 to cut. I foresee making a lot more cuts to limb and chunk out the pines. The 361 will do it, but it is going to wear me out fast. So now, I've been looking at a top handle saw. I see the 192Ts are pretty reasonably priced, but I'm really wanting a 200T. I don't plan on making a living out of tree work; everything I've done so far has been for friends and family and has been free of charge. I just enjoy the work. I do however, like having quality tools that last and are serviceable. I stopped into a dealer near where I work today and they only had the 192T on the shelf. I asked the guy about a 200T and he said Stihl wants to phase them out, that they were expensive because they didn't sell a lot of them, and some other garbage. I was curious how many dealers actually stock the 200T? I'd like to actually hold on and see how it feels in my hands before I spend the money. What is a good setup for the 200T? I know a 361 with a 20" bar is pretty well balanced. What feels better on the 200T, a 14" or 16" bar? Is the lightweight bar worth the extra as well?

I prefer the 16" bar.

That is a boxy little engine, and a 14" bar is too short for my purposes. I am right handed, and prefer to position myself cutting to the left. This puts the engine up against the trunk where a longer bar is more important.

Other folks think otherwise. There are probably dozens of threads on this topic for just this one model.

The 200T is very popular.

I prefer a 14" bar. I have a 20 with a 16" I use when I need it in the tree. But personally, if I didn't do this for a living I would have to think long and hard before I dropped $600 clams on a climbing saw that I was only going to use occasionally...

I prefer the 16" bar.

That is a boxy little engine, and a 14" bar is too short for my purposes. I am right handed, and prefer to position myself cutting to the left. This puts the engine up against the trunk where a longer bar is more important.

Other folks think otherwise. There are probably dozens of threads on this topic for just this one model.

The 200T is very popular.

Heard that. I keep about 3 or 4 of them still in the box with 16" bars in case I hire a climber or one takes a dump. Tried the 192 (just one- once), and in less than a month it sat on a shelf. I should go see if it still there. Seems like you go thru more 14" bars than 16". Plus the balance is better with the 16". We replace air filters at least once every ten day's, dang they cost alot!
Jeff, :)

Heard that. I keep about 3 or 4 of them still in the box with 16" bars in case I hire a climber or one takes a dump. Tried the 192 (just one- once), and in less than a month it sat on a shelf. I should go see if it still there. Seems like you go thru more 14" bars than 16". Plus the balance is better with the 16". We replace air filters at least once every ten day's, dang they cost alot!
Jeff, :)

Yep. I have a 192.. for a second I thought I liked it better than the 200T.. but after being in a tree with it a few times.. that wore off real fast! So.. if you look at my signature yoiu will see it is no longer in the stable with the rest.

I'm sure the 200T is overkill for my use, however that being said, saws are my hobby and I like to have the best tool for the job. I'd be pretty dissapointed if I get up in a tree and get less than desired performance from my saw. From what I'm hearing the 16" bar seems to be the better option for the saw. Does anyone have anything to say about the 14" lightweight bar? Does it make much of a difference? What chain do you guys run? My other saws are setup with 3/8 and 0.50 RSC. Can I use the same files for the 3/8" picco chain? It looks like the only Stihl chain you can get for the 200T is safety chain, is that right? Lastly, what is fuel consumption like? How long will it run on a tank of gas?

Thanks for all the feedback so far.

I'm sure the 200T is overkill for my use, however that being said, saws are my hobby and I like to have the best tool for the job. I'd be pretty dissapointed if I get up in a tree and get less than desired performance from my saw. From what I'm hearing the 16" bar seems to be the better option for the saw. Does anyone have anything to say about the 14" lightweight bar? Does it make much of a difference? What chain do you guys run? My other saws are setup with 3/8 and 0.50 RSC. Can I use the same files for the 3/8" picco chain? It looks like the only Stihl chain you can get for the 200T is safety chain, is that right? Lastly, what is fuel consumption like? How long will it run on a tank of gas?

Thanks for all the feedback so far.

It is not over-kill, you put a light 14 on that saw , well, better use two hands unless you are an old timer. The 192 will probably and most likely dissapoint you. If you get a chain that has a "yellow" DL, thats what you want, but like I said, I don't know if you should do too much unless you know what you are doing. The "only chain" you think you can get get has a big brother- His name is "Yellow". Finally, you will use as much gas as it takes!
Jeff :cheers:

Well if your a saw affectionado, by all means go with the 200. You won't be disappointed. I agree, the 192 just doesn't have the ass and will leave you wanting. I use a light 14" bar on mine with the yellow chain. I have to go behind the shelf to get that chain for that saw tho. They told me they only sell it upon request to tree services. Go figure, I've heard of some places not even selling the 200 to the general public, only tree services. Maybe they are worried about liability or something. Anyway, I prefer the 14 inch bar because I have a 16" bar on my 260 (which I tried to say in my last post save the typo). I will often use the 260 in the tree if I am making larger cuts (like when I am doing crane work). If you are trying to split the difference between a large saw and a climbing saw by all means, go with a 16" bar.

I recently bought a 200t and love it. It is great on gas by the way. I rarely have to send it down the tree to refill.

But another alternative for you may be an echo 360t, which is about half the price. I have heard a lot of good things about it, though it seems that the 200t is still head and shoulders above any other top handled saw...

But perhaps the husky 338t would be great as well. I think they retail for 400-500.

I have a 14" bar on my 200T. Corey has a 16" bar on his. I feel that it is a little too nose heavy for me with a 16" bar, and I figure if the wood is getting big enough the 14" bar won't handle it, then I will be needing a bigger saw in the tree anyways. I'm over 50 and suffering from arthritis so the balance thing gets important real quick when I'm sawing in a tree. BTW I'm left handed so that might be part of the difference as to why the 14 works for me.
Rick

Last edited:
The 200t is a great saw. We use them for everything. Another saw that all the guys really like is the Husky T435 around 300 bones.

i use a 192t, but then i live in australia where a 192 is about $600 and a 200t is $1500. If i lived in the states and could get a new 200t for $600 or less brand new, I'd definitely buy it. even worn out second hand 200t's go for $800~$900 here.

Having said that, the 192t isn't a bad saw. I used to use 200t's in new zealand when all i did was forestry pruning for furniture grade pine plantations. We got paid $1/tree, and had to remove every branch within a 2metre range, sometimes 15~20 branches. I'd start that saw up in the morning, redline it to warm it up then run it at redline all day and it would never skip a beat. 150~200 trees a day on big days. Most of those saws would get used 2~3 years at that rate, then sold for $800.

I dont do much tree work now, and what i do is generally from the ground. my 192t gets occasional in tree use (2 or 3 times a year?) for tricky trees that need to be taken down piece by piece, but my core business is building houses, not cutting down trees. I run a 12" bar on it, and it runs just fine. The 200t only has maybe 20% more power, what you really pay for is the durability (steel dogs vs plastic etc). If you need bigger than a 12" bar, then you need bigger than a small saw, go for a 310 ;-)

Increasingly, i find myself carrying that little 192t in the trunk of my car. Its such a handy little saw, and it takes up no space at all. I store it with a sharp chain and a full tank of gas and bar oil. When i bought it, i thought of it as a real dinky little plastic saw that i might use for a bit of pruning but it always starts up real easy, and it gets through some big stuff if you arent hard on it. I'd rate it every bit as good as chinese made rear handled saws you buy at hardware stores up to 40cc, It's saved the day more than a few times with firewood, helping out a friend, pruning and felling smaller trees.

My only other saw is an 044 though, and that thing is just too big to carry up a tree. if you've got the cash, get a 200t and you wont regret it. You might not use it very often for in tree pruning, but if your only other saw is biggun, you might use it a lot more than what you thought for little jobs. You'll get a lot of years of good service out of it (I'd never sell mine) but even if you decide to get rid of it, you'll get a good price.

Shaun

Last edited:
$1600 for a 200 :jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop: That's highway robbery!

The 192t is a dandy little saw. I was skeptical at first as I don't trust any saw with the little plastic priming bubble or two chokes. However, I have had mine since at least 2006 and it has been ran hard. I was using a small echo for a climbing saw at that point and got in a decent sized crotch with it, the saw bogged in the cut and it took me forever to get through it. This was not the first time for this to happen. When I finished with that job I went straight to the Stihl dealer and bought the 192. It was a little better but it will still bog in decent sized crotch cuts. I climbed with it for a year and bought a 200T. No more bogging in crotch cuts. I don't have time to spend a couple of minutes on a cut that should only take a couple of seconds therefore the 200 fit the bill for me.

That being said the 192 has been in service for at least 4 hard years now. I have used it in the tree a few times since but it has been mostly relegated to ground work and abused by my groundies. I loaned it to my dad during an ice storm to clean up his home and land. He's got 140 trees on his place, mostly mature hardwoods and not a one of them escaped damage. His little poulan just wasn't doing the job, I was swamped with work and could not help him at the time so I loaned him the 192 knowing that at least he wouldn't cut his leg off with it. He is hard on a saw. After he used it for a month I put a new bar and chain on it, changed spark plugs, blew it out with my compressor and put it back into service. I just changed the spark plug in it last week and sharpened the chain. It is still trucking. This saw is a dandy little saw for light pruning and limbing but if you are doing removals the 200 is a much better saw for you.

And as far as the 044 goes. If you do this for very long there will come a time when your gonna need the 044 in the tree as well. I carry mine up on just about every job. That is when I can't get away with using the 361.

storm012.jpg

Last edited:
i use a 192t, but then i live in australia where a 192 is about $600 and a 200t is $1500. If i lived in the states and could get a new 200t for $600 or less brand new, I'd definitely buy it. even worn out second hand 200t's go for $800~$900 here.
Shaun

Just out of curiousity,if you don't mind me asking , what do other things cost down there?
Such as :
gallon of gas?
loaf of bread ?
pack of smokes?
hourly wage for total greenhorn ''newbie '' groundie?

How much do you guys get for , let's say a queen palm trim /curbside/one year of growth on it/15-20 min job?

I just want to get an overall picture of the economy.
Is everything higher there,so it all works out in the end ,or
do they stick it to you guys for saws and stuff ?

that husky 435.........anybody have any experience with it? I was thinking about getting another tree saw...I have the 200t(s) & an old 020 but thought about the 435

a buddy/competitor of mine has one & says its as good as the 200t & much better than the 192........SO I was just wandering?

thanks!!!

LXT......................

Hey LXT, you might want to take a look at the 338XPT as well. They make a California version that is kicking 45 CC's. That's a pretty significant difference than the 200T and the power head only weighs 7.7 pounds as compared to the 200 at 7.9 pounds. I am dieing to check one out but I am covered for climbing saws at the moment.

Here's a link:

http://norwalkpower.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=210

that husky 435.........anybody have any experience with it? I was thinking about getting another tree saw...I have the 200t(s) & an old 020 but thought about the 435

a buddy/competitor of mine has one & says its as good as the 200t & much better than the 192........SO I was just wandering?

thanks!!!

345 or 435?
Jeff :)

thanks!!!

Never heard of a 435 top handled saw.. You sure that is the model. Or is somebody using a rear handled saw in tree.. have seen it done but not my favorite for most of the work we do.

Hey LXT, you might want to take a look at the 338XPT as well. They make a California version that is kicking 45 CC's. That's a pretty significant difference than the 200T and the power head only weighs 7.7 pounds as compared to the 200 at 7.9 pounds. I am dieing to check one out but I am covered for climbing saws at the moment.

Here's a link:

http://norwalkpower.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=210

Now I like that one. But it is not even on the Husqvarna site! Wonder how they managed to build a 45 cc saw that is the same weight as their 39cc saw. Lower down shows specs for the 39cc model.. so no real specs given on the 45cc one. I sent an email to Husqvarna requesting brochure and more info on this saw.. looks like nice add.

Latest posts

Back