MS201 TC Won't start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geordie

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'll preface this by saying I'm not a saw guy, or especially mechanically gifted. I bought a brand new Stihl MS201 tc a couple months back. From the first day it's had a problem where it will just refuse to start after it's been run for 2/3 of a gas tank. If I let it sit it will start working again in 5-10 minutes, but since I'm usually up a tree I'm not willing to hang around waiting. Anyone have any idea what this could be? Thanks,

Geordie

Are you using fresh premium fuel? It helps.
Also try pressing the primer a few times right before you start it hot, to flush the hotter fuel In the carb to the tank, and load some slightly cooler fuel from the tank In the carb. Gas boils around 95 degrees.

Did you check the tank vent? When the saw quits running, open the tank cap and hear if there is a vaccum. If so, you have a problem with the tank vent. It is also possible that the ignition module has a fault when it gets hot and it gives no spark. Also check for this when it quits running.

Thanks everyone, I'll try and see if any of your suggestions solve the problem.

Time for some questions born of ignorance:

@alexcagle, I'm using clear gas. Now, more importantly, what is the primer? I've got a triangle for start, an I for run and the O for off. Looking at the manual it looks to me like pressing all the way to the O a couple times might do what you're talking about.

@DND 9000, If I'm understanding you correctly I DO want to hear a release of pressure when I open the gas tank?

@CR888, Lot's of times it's not convenient to keep the saw running. Yesterday I was working in a white oak and moving about a lot to the different parts of the tree and I'd rather not have the saw running while I'm re-positioning. I'm really hoping this isn't the solution :p

The MS201C-M doesn't have a primer bulb.
Experiencing starting problems frequently, might be either fuel or ignition problems.
Replacing the spark plug is a simple test.
Replacing gas for alkylate fuel mix is another easy test.

However, if problems still exists, either it's a problem with the M-Tronic carburator, or with the ignition coil.

The MS201C-M doesn't have a primer bulb.
Experiencing starting problems frequently, might be either fuel or ignition problems.
Replacing the spark plug is a simple test.
Replacing gas for alkylate fuel mix is another easy test.

However, if problems still exists, either it's a problem with the M-Tronic carburator, or with the ignition coil.

The OP doesn't say he has an m-Tronic.
The 201T comes with or without a primer.ms201tc-m_1.jpeg
I will say this; at the time I posted that, every one I had worked one were newer, and of the primer equipped variety.

@DND 9000, If I'm understanding you correctly I DO want to hear a release of pressure when I open the gas tank?

When you work and your saw quits running and your tank vent wouldn`t work right, you could hear releasing the vaccuum in the tank when you open the filler cap as a pfff sound. Otherwise when you leave the saw in the sun or heat and you open the filler cap, you can hear releasing the pressure especially when you use pump gas.

Pffff sound is either vacuum buildup, or the beans you had for lunch....
It's Stihl under warranty.
Take it to the dealer and have them test the tank vent.
It takes less than 5 minutes to perform the test.
If you take it empty it will facilitate the test. Then run it until the saw dies so the fuel doesn't squirt out when they take they disconnect the hose.

Back