MS201T Rebuild. Runs great, but carb adjustment question.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2Strokn

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So I bought a junked Stihl MS201T on ebay with the intent of rebuilding it. I did a complete rebuild to include a new piston and cylinder as well as a brand new carburetor. I drilled the muffler and drilled the limiter rod out of the H setting on the carburetor so that I can get the proper range of adjustment. Got the saw started and adjusted the carb. It runs GREAT! However, there's one problem that I can't quite figure out. The L adjustment doesn't seem to do much good. I idles the same no matter where I adjust the L screw. If I turn it all the way in, the saw will die. But other than that the saw idles great no matter how far out I back the screw. It idles good, doesn't seem to load up and revs just fine. What am I missing here? Shouldn't I be able to set the L screw too rich? It's like the screw really doesn't do anything. It's obviously not a show stopper because the saw runs good. I'm just perplexed. Anyone ran across this issue?

Thanks.

But shouldn't I be able to get some kind of effect with the L screw? It runs fine no matter what I do with the L screw unless I close it all the way.

I guess I won't get too wound up about it since it idles fine. Lol

I just drilled my H limiter pin and noticed the black plastic on the L adjustment has a stopper that limits the L adjustment. I cut that off giving full adjustment there as well. All back together and going to tune it. Should i set H and L back to stock settings as a baseline starting point and adjust from there? Referencing 1 1/8 and 2 1/2, id like to confirm that this means 1 1/8 and 2 1/2 counter clockwise rotations back off of tight?

Latest posts

Back