MS260 oiler question/problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KMB

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I got my 16" bar today and was trying it on my 260 (non-pro) and I noticed chain oil slowly seeping from the top of the chain sprocket cover as I ran the saw.When I let the saw sit for a minute, chain oil was leaking from underneath (around the chain sprocket cover). When I took off the chain sprocket cover, there was oil sprayed all over the inside of the cover. I don't seem to have noticed this before. I put back on my Stihl 20" bar (new bar is a 16" Oregon Pro-Lite) and ran the saw, and same thing. The chain is being oiled on both bars, I've done the test. My oiler is the non-adjustable type. So, am I overlooking something? I don't think the oil seeping out of the top of the chain sprocket cover is normal, but maybe the oil on the inside of the cover is normal. I've always noticed the inside of my cover being dirty, but didn't associate it with the chain oil. I know that the chain is lubricated on the bar, but does that much oil get at the sprocket area? I hope I'm not embarassing myself with this concern/question. :) :blush: Any help with my concern would be appreciated.

Every 026/260 that I have without the adjustable pump does the same. These saws oil even at idle. The adjustable pump has a range of 0.15-0.4 fl.oz/min. Non adjustable is 0.3 fl.oz/min. They pump more oil than necessary with shorter bars.

Stihl Crazy said:
Every 026/260 that I have without the adjustable pump does the same. These saws oil even at idle. The adjustable pump has a range of 0.15-0.4 fl.oz/min. Non adjustable is 0.3 fl.oz/min. They pump more oil than necessary with shorter bars.

So what you're saying is that it's not a big deal? I guess my concern should be that the chain is getting oiled properly, which it is. Thanks for the info.

just to clarify, the big difference with the 026/260 pro oiler is not so much the adjustment, but that they only pump when the chain (drum) moves.

Lakeside53 said:
just to clarify, the big difference with the 026/260 pro oiler is not so much the adjustment, but that they only pump when the chain (drum) moves.

I learn something new everyday, thank ya. :)

Back