ms260 piston ring end gap

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul99

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me the max piston end gap measurement for a ms260?

By my measurement, a friends saw I've been working on, has a ring end gap measurement of .032" which to me seems big but no idea what is or isn't acceptable...

New is 0.008” to 0.010”, with max at a mm or 0.040”.
It would run fine, but obviously new rings would be better.

Thank you, I thought it should be something along those lines.

Yes the saw did run ok but not sure what compression it had. It did have an idle issue which I eventually traced back to a major air leak at the base gasket. Having removed the top end to confirm a failed gasket I thought I should check the condition of the rings at the same time hence this post. If it was my saw I'd have put some new rings without hesitating as its a friends I can give him the facts and give him the choice.

Squish allowing it'll have a base gasket delete and muffler mod which should liven it up a bit so to me makes sense to put some new rings in now.

I’m impressed that you checked it! Cabers are good aftermarket rings & cheap insurance at $12.50 delivered to your mail box.

Most just throw a set in w/o checking & then whine about scrapping a good P&C after catching a bulged ring in the exhaust port.

Don’t be that guy!

Back