MS260 pro convert from .325 to 3/8?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xtra

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I wanted to convert my 260pro from .325 / .63 to 3/8 .50
My Stihl dealer said it can't be done . . . can't I just change the bar and rim spocket?

That's what I tought, he said Stihl didn't show a parts swap on that model with the rim spocket???

Maybe I need to go aftermarket?

You CAN get a Stihl rim sprocket for an 026/MS260........but, the Stihl sprocket for that saw uses a Stihl specific rim. If you go aftermarket, you will be able to get more readily available standard sized rims from juast about any saw dealer. A few companies make rims for the odd Stihl spline but they are not likely to be in stock when you need one.

Big wood, the dealer was just trying to stop him from making the mistake a lot of 260 owners do, think they have a real chainsaw.
A 260 will not pull a 3/8 chain for crapola. Either build your 026 into a race saw, or run .325, period.
Instead of spending a bunch of cash making your pathetic saw cut about half as fast as a saw that can actually run 3/8s chain, just buy a real saw.

I guess I was confused.

Today I was cutting l16" to 18" diameter locust to shorten it up for the splitter with my 026 Pro (140 psi compression) 3/8's .050 RS chain with a 20" rollomatic ES bar.

It screamed through the locust pretty good since the chain was sharp.

Somebody forgot to tell my saw it couldn't do that.

Mike Maas said:
Big wood, the dealer was just trying to stop him from making the mistake a lot of 260 owners do, think they have a real chainsaw.
A 260 will not pull a 3/8 chain for crapola. Either build your 026 into a race saw, or run .325, period.
Instead of spending a bunch of cash making your pathetic saw cut about half as fast as a saw that can actually run 3/8s chain, just buy a real saw.
Haa haa, ho ho, Mike just is wrong. It is the sharpness of the chain and nothing else that determines what pitch it will handle, within reason of course.:chainsaw: :chainsaw:

This is an east coast/west coast difference. On the west coast I suspect you are cutting a lot of softwoods, the 026 will handle 3/8 in that stuff even on a 20" bar. On the east coast we have more hardwoods, oak, maple, etc these really put a strain on an 026 with 3/8 . I do beleive that an 026 is happier with .325 here.

I agree with Mike, the 026 is not quite enough. I know plenty that use
a 3/8 and like it, but I would tell the original poster to try switching to a
8 pt. rim first, with the 26rs chain, he would like it better.

Lighten up on the dealer bashing too, it doesn't serve any purpose but to piss people off.

"Pro" Stuff

Get rid of this machito stuff. Get rid of the "pro"/"homeowner" dis.
Some pros know their profession, other "pros" here know only talk :spam: .
Some "homeowners" have cut more and know more than the machito, self-appointed "pros" :censored: . Yes, some homeowners cut P.T. Sooooo....?
Some homeowners did the pro GOL. Soooooo ?
Choose your weapon. They are what you want. I use Glock. :greenchainsaw: Sooooo....?:monkey:
And, I use a MS260. Hey, 7 months old, on the second bar, third RS chain. Soooooo.....?:clap: And, my tree/limbing saw is a 136. Soooo..... My choice.
You want to use a 460 or a 372. Great. Sooooo......?
Give the thing a rest.

logbutcher said:
Get rid of this machito stuff. Get rid of the "pro"/"homeowner" dis.
Some pros know their profession, other "pros" here know only talk :spam: .
Some "homeowners" have cut more and know more than the machito, self-appointed "pros" :censored: . Yes, some homeowners cut P.T. Sooooo....?
Some homeowners did the pro GOL. Soooooo ?
Choose your weapon. They are what you want. I use Glock. :greenchainsaw: Sooooo....?:monkey:
And, I use a MS260. Hey, 7 months old, on the second bar, third RS chain. Soooooo.....?:clap: And, my tree/limbing saw is a 136. Soooo..... My choice.
You want to use a 460 or a 372. Great. Sooooo......?
Give the thing a rest.
how did you wear your bar out on two chains? just curious.

Mike Maas said:

Careful with that statement... All most all 026's in my area are 3/8... and full comp up to 18 inch, then skip on 20... It cuts our softwoods, hard softwood and soft hardwoods just fine. Don't have any hard hardwoods to try it on:)

Jeez, I forgot posting stuff on the chainsaw forum could stir up such, ah, enthusiatic responses.

I want to switch so I don't have to buy a reel of .325 and 3/8" chain. And my grinder is set up with a 3/8 wheel (swapping wheels and setting it back up gets old fast). Also I could convert some rocked 30" chains down to 18".

My 260 is only used for limbing on the ground with a 18" bar . . . as stated earlier we have mostly hardwood here on the East coast, but I'd think the 260 is up to the task.

I read the posts about opening up the 260's muffler for more power and less heat. Will the new style carb handle this or do I need to put on an older style?

[Mike - The dealer knows I own 361's and 460's]

Xtra said:
I read the posts about opening up the 260's muffler for more power and less heat. Will the new style carb handle this or do I need to put on an older style?

[Mike - The dealer knows I own 361's and 460's]

Depends on the carb... does it have a H speed adjustment screw? and if so, will it allow enough adjustment (depends on how much you open that muffler up!). I know that the WT191 carb works on all, the WT426 works on MOST (all, but one I know about) and the WTE-x (two screw version) seems to be o.k.

Not so sure about the "heat" issue. Sure, for the same HP output it will run cooler, but you're also raising the horsepower... so if you work it harder to take advantage of that it will get hotter.. but none of this really matters for cutting wood.

Well when you go back to the dealer, just tell him you want a 18" bar and
rim sprocket for a ms310. As far as the high emotion here, it is normal,
winter is almost over, and most of these guys have not bathed or been
laid in a while, and they get a little testy. Well to be honest, some of them have never done either.........

A Dreaded Homeowner's Lament

sugarbush said:
how did you wear your bar out on two chains? just curious.

OK Brian the truth: it was 2 1/2 chains. In managing our woodlot, cutting trails, T.S.I., blowdowns, firewood, somke pulp and sawlogs, I have to cut too much dirty wood. The stumps are cut down close to ground for trails. There it is. Bars don't like dirt. And then there are the rare :mad: times the bar will get stuck in a cut. The bar is dressed and cleaned after each cutting along with the chain.
That's the real world out here in Paradise.
The mind is open :jawdrop: Suggestions ?

Latest posts

Back