MS260 Pro with decompression valve

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SawTroll said:
The decomp valve is there primarily to protect the starter on the saw from premature wear/failure, and only secondary to make the pull easier on the user.

It is most useful if you frequently stop and start the saw, instead of letting it sit idling.

I've heard that and disagree. Even with the plastic starter pawls used today, if the pawls are engaged prior to the pull the wear will be minimal. If the user is jerking the rope without engaging the pawls, wear will be accelerated.

Now, for starting between the legs, I highly recommend using the decomp valve.

I remember about 10-12 years ago when I went into a Husky dealer. There was an old timer who owned the shop. He had to be 70 years old. I was looking at saws and I asked him if I really needed a decomp valve on a 50cc saw. I still remember his exact answer........"only if your grandmother is going to be using it'. :)

Clearly there are times where it might come in handy, but I essentially agree with his statement.

Zodiac45 said:
Ditto Whatsnext,

I too have an 026 non pro with the clutch driven oiler. While it's Non-adjustable unlike the Pro, it does only oil with the chain turning. I believe that Stihl began these more efficient type oilers about 3-4 years ago. Before that, they all were using the crank driven type. It's possible that during the swap, they used the older (crank driven) on some of the non pro's too use up the stock?

Zee

Are you sure? Maybe I haven't seen everything, but I never seen a non-adjustable clutch drum driven oiler on an 026, and neither has my NW Stihl tech rep. I've searched all the tech literature, and can't find anything either. Can you send a picture of it?

WRW said:
I've heard that and disagree. ....
:jawdrop: There would be no fun if we all agreed on every issue.....:)
WRW said:
Now, for starting between the legs, I highly recommend using the decomp valve.
Agree!

I used to do that, but as my right hand has been getting worse:cry: , I mostly dropstart with the left hand on the starter rope by now.

Lakeside53 said:
Not true... The Pro only turns the oil pump when the clutch drum rotates. The NON-PRO turns the pump when the crankshaft rotates (i.e. always) and is NOT driven off the clutch drum.. Big diff.

My MS260 non-pro oil pump is, as Lakeside53 states, driven off the crankshaft and oils all the time. I bought it about 1-1/2 years ago.

Dave

Back