MS260 vs. Dolmar5100

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll get some pics tomorro, only thing I can think of is everyone that says no has an older model. By older I mean not since the new year. I had to get a new saw right off the bat because of a carb that wouldn't tune so maybe the supply and demand is up and they are rushing them through. We love the saws and they cut all day just some stupid quorks that seem more like johnny come lately than were german made and as old as stihl!

You've really got my curiosity up on this one. I want to see these pics and compare them to the older saws. I've purchased one since the first of the year and I'd like to see and understand different people's different definitions of 'clean' and 'dirty.'

I'd say my 5100 stays cleaner than any Stihl I've had. (Never had the 441.)
The 7900 is even better. But, I'd say my 338 gets a little dirtier than my 5100. I'll say this though, I think I have to clean it more than I expected.

There is an air inlet at the bottom of the black cover by the carb that has only a foam type of sponge, a little bigger than the size of a quarter. If this is not in the slot just right, it could lead to problems in proper air filtration.

Once again, my curiosity is up. Thanks for bringing it up. I'm looking forward to the pictures.

Thanks.

Last edited:
... But, I'd say my 338 gets a little dirtier than my 5100. I'll say this though, I think I have to clean it more than I expected.

The Air Injection doesn't work as well on the small saws with the air filter up front and engine at the rear, as on the larger saws.

I believe it is because the debris can't be blown past the engine, in the same way.

Last edited:
The Air Injection doesn't work as well on the small saws with the air filter up front and engine at the rear, as on the larger saws.

I believe it is because the debris can't be blown past the engine, in the same way.
(I thought that was one of, if not the major idea of their air injection.)

Thanks as always, ST, very good point, makes sense. I've wondered, does the design of the smaller Husky saws not allow for their 'air injection' system to work as the bigger saws do where the filter is in the back? I've looked and with the design being so different, I've wondered if even their is an 'air injection' system (per their design) on their smaller saws.

However, Husky's literature states that their 'air injection' system is on all their saws. (particularly the 338xpt.) But, as you stated, doesn't seem to do as well as the bigger, rear filtered saws. Just pondering here...

Latest posts

Back