MS260 vs MS 290

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are ya dreamin'? Sure the 290 is a little heavy, but is noticeably more powerful than the Husqvarna 350. BTW, MS290s are the plastic clamshell with shortblock inside. The 350s have a plastic lower crankcase, seem to loose muffler bolts due to stripping, and then the :censored: lower case melts....junk saw, poor design! The 353 is a fine saw, but a bit more $.

Personally I prefer to Loctite those muffler screws if they should become loose and have a saw that cuts like a 353 Pro grade saw instead of carrying that fat anchor along and clean the filter every two minutes. I have yet to see one issue with my buddys 350 after years of abuse. And yes, I have run the 290. I'd like to erase that experience from my mind but can't. It's an irreversible mistake I made.

Personally I prefer to Loctite those muffler screws if they should become loose and have a saw that cuts like a 353 Pro grade saw instead of carrying that fat anchor along and clean the filter every two minutes. I have yet to see one issue with my buddys 350 after years of abuse. And yes, I have run the 290. I'd like to erase that experience from my mind but can't. It's an irreversible mistake I made.

When you get a new 350, do they come with loctite?

And as you read all these posts, remember the 290 is a great saw.:clap:

I'll never be able to look at a new Husky without recalling all of the whining and jealousy of the Swedish fanboys.
God, why can't you just help instead of being such biatches.
:buttkick:

I believe you are exaggerating a bit (OK....a lot) about how often the air cleaner has to be cleaned on a 290 and being a bit dramatic - or you are using a very dull chain and making a lot of dust instead of chips. The air cleaner on the 290 doesn't get dirty very fast....unless you throw a whole handful of wood shavings into the flywheel like the Husky people do in their video. The 290 air cleaner doesn't need any more attention than any other Stihl......and I don't remember having to clean mine more than a couple of times a year. It is not that I am neglectful.....they just don't get dirty real quickly when you are only cutting 5 chords a year.

I'll never be able to look at a new Husky without recalling all of the whining and jealousy of the Swedish fanboys.
God, why can't you just help instead of being such biatches.
:buttkick:

Boo,

Lighten up man. This is the most kind that Peter has ever been on a 290 thread. Peter has an ajenda. He knows it and we know it. When it comes to the 290, Peter is like Niko on steroids.

And so it goes,

Joat

Outta bullets to rep you on that one Joat :)

Chris,

No problem, I'll just rep myself. There, I feel better now.

How ya been? That Makita doin' it for ya?

Cute, cute girl. You're a lucky man Chris!

Stay safe,

Joat

Boo,

Lighten up man. This is the most kind that Peter has ever been on a 290 thread. Peter has an ajenda. He knows it and we know it. When it comes to the 290, Peter is like Niko on steroids.

And so it goes,

Joat

I will defer to Dr. Joat, who was so kind to Rope in another thread.
Your altruism and compassion for the other point of view is admirable sir.
:clap:

Last edited:
Especially by the pound - - - MS290 13lbs, vs. the Husky 350 10.6lbs

Al :dizzy: :dizzy:

Hey come on what do we have a bunch of girly men out there? :cry: :cry: I get tired of the weight thing coming up.
A person that's only going to swing that saw around for 5 to 7 cords of wood a year should be able to do that standing on his head. ( yes I've tried it.) I understand if a person is using a saw 4 to 6 hours a day 4 or 5 days a week there's some truth to the weight thing but come on, how many hours does it take to fell ,limb, and buck 5 to 7 cords of wood? Just my thoughts.:monkey: :monkey: :givebeer: :givebeer:

Well, Dtp, If you make it this far down the thread, Its safe to take the hip waders off now. 029 Is a good saw (for light use), 026 is a Great saw. If you are going to save some coin and buy a used saw, I think you will be happiest with an 034,036,360, or 361. But if you find a deal on an 028,026. don't hesitate even the smaller pro saws work well for fire wood. I would not buy a used 290 at any price. well maybe if it was less than 100 bucks. The only reason to settle for a 290 is if thats all the money you can afford at the dealer. This saw used with no warrenty is not worth the risk.

Chris,

No problem, I'll just rep myself. There, I feel better now.

How ya been? That Makita doin' it for ya?

Cute, cute girl. You're a lucky man Chris!

Stay safe,

Joat

Been doin' well.

That's the baby, hard to believe she is almost 2! Took that picture when she took a liking to my Bugeyez this weekend.

I thought of you yesterday when I was using the Makita yesterday to help a fellow church member take down a dead/dying pine in their yard. He has an interest in learning to climb. He has a decent starter climbing kit (Klein spurs, cadillac pads, Weaver saddle, 12' wire core lanyard. He picked up the starter kit about six months ago after he climbed another pine on his dad or grandads lineman kit. Apparently, he was someways up the tree when the straps on the spurs broke from dry rot. His wife tells me his son yelled over "Mom, dad came down the tree really fast!". It's funny now, but thankfully more pride was hurt than body.

I did the top and chunked the spar down to the last 4 cuts then sent him up to finish. He got up there and was working so hard that his legs started shaking from the effort. I got him to a rest position and talked him through the rest, moving lines, planning his cuts and working the saw. It took about 45 minutes to do those cuts but he did them fine. After we dropped the remaining spar, we started cutting firewood sized pieces. He has a Poulan but he did have sharp chain so it did okay. I then gave my 026 (thanks computeruser). After a few cuts on that I put him on the Makita. He saw the benefits of a little more bar and alot more power. It took at least 1/3 less time and a much more comfortable position than his saw to do the same amount of work. I think he is hooked. I told him he would do best with getting chaps (I gave my spares to another buddy), a helmet and a better saw. He can climb on my ropes (if I am there) and hardware until he figures out what he wants to do (not my saws though :).

I have that 7900 P&C sitting and waiting for the 6400 to wear out :).

Last edited:
re: 260 or 361

Thanks for all the posts; very helpful. As I read I am wondering if I should move up to the 361. I had decided against that one when I was in the market a couple of years ago (then was given a 032AV) but decided I would not use it enough.
I want a saw that I will not have to replace again. I was given a 026 that needs to be rebuilt and a 032AV that is currently having problems and I am having a time with getting parts. I am thinking of selling one or both both (dead saws sell on ebay! and am thinking of rebuilding the 026 with my son for a winter project) and that would make it easier for me to get a 361. I have cut spruce mostly, but have found a couple of years (God is good!) supply of birch. I am not a mechanic but usually can do something if I put my mind to it, have the tools, and have some guidance.

BTW The local Stihl dealer does not have the best reputation. I got the run around on my 032. I was told it was the ignition module and they recommended a new saw. Whne I asked about the certainty of the module; I was told the mechanic has been wroking on Stihls for 20+ year. I had a car mechanic friend look at it with me and found the wire was loose at the coil! The guy that gave me the 026 bought a Husky up the road becasue of his experience with Stihl dealer.

Thanks again for the advice.

Thanks for all the posts; very helpful. As I read I am wondering if I should move up to the 361. I had decided against that one when I was in the market a couple of years ago (then was given a 032AV) but decided I would not use it enough.
I want a saw that I will not have to replace again. I was given a 026 that needs to be rebuilt and a 032AV that is currently having problems and I am having a time with getting parts. I am thinking of selling one or both both (dead saws sell on ebay! and am thinking of rebuilding the 026 with my son for a winter project) and that would make it easier for me to get a 361. I have cut spruce mostly, but have found a couple of years (God is good!) supply of birch. I am not a mechanic but usually can do something if I put my mind to it, have the tools, and have some guidance.

BTW The local Stihl dealer does not have the best reputation. I got the run around on my 032. I was told it was the ignition module and they recommended a new saw. Whne I asked about the certainty of the module; I was told the mechanic has been wroking on Stihls for 20+ year. I had a car mechanic friend look at it with me and found the wire was loose at the coil! The guy that gave me the 026 bought a Husky up the road becasue of his experience with Stihl dealer.

Thanks again for the advice.

OK you already said it." wondering if I should move up to the 361."Just get the 361 and all problems are solved! IMO. And it can cure cancer. :clap: :clap: :clap: :givebeer: :givebeer:

:agree2: .. and keep your 026. not even a winter project, more like kill a rainy day for a first timer. about an hour or so after the first time.

Latest posts

Back