MS260 vs. MS310

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Millman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi all,
Just got my load of logs for the next year. This time I bought a full load for myself and not a half. I currently own a MS310 I had for a year. Last year I got all red and white oak to saw and split. Avg diameter was 16". The saw worked great but at 13lbs, was heavy at times and found myself taking more breaks than usual. Question is, and I think I know the answer already, would a 260 perform better? Also I can trade up at my local dealer who is one of the best around, or should I try to sell the saw and look at a dolmar? The dolmar dealer seems pretty good and is reasonably priced.

Millman

No, an MS260 won't perform better since it almost 1 HP less then the MS310. However the MS260 is a professional saw vs MS310 which is part of Stihl's consumer line. The MS260 will weight a lot less though. Weight isn't as big a factor for bucking as it is for limbing, felling and general lugging around the woodlot.

Within Stihl, I think the saw you need is an MS361. You'll get about 10% higher output and save nearly a lb of weight. I can't think of a better Stihl saw for bucking 16" oak if weight is a major concern.

Withing Dolmar, a 5100 would approximate the power of your 310 but would save about 2 lbs weight. A 7900 would be the most fun to use for this job but it's a tad higher weight then your 310 but it has gobs more power.

Last edited:
+1 on the 361. You are only looking at about 150 bucks difference between that and the 260. Btw you would be loosing more than 1 hp between the 310 and the 260, as Stihl uses brake horse power and not hp.

I own both a 260 and a 361,

I love the 260 but I am not constantly cutting 16 inch oak. If I was it would be with the 361 not the 260.

I do not think that the 260 will out cut your 310.

Out last it yes.

Out cut it No.

I own both a 260 and a 361,

I love the 260 but I am not constantly cutting 16 inch oak. If I was it would be with the 361 not the 260.

I do not think that the 260 will out cut your 310.

Out last it yes.

Out cut it No.

Get a 361 and you will be happy forever

+1 - if you want a light saw for that work, the 361 is the one.

True weight differense vs the 310 is a tad more than a pound. :)

Imo, the 260 is not a good option.

Last edited:
How about a Husky?

Thanks for your answers. I didn't consider the 361. I know a lot of you have Husky's too. Any of those I should consider?
Millman

A 372xp or 362xp would do you good as far as husky goes. A 361 would be you best bet on stihl. A 7900 or 7300 would do you good as far as dolmar goes. And then you could muffler mod them and then they are monsters! lol:greenchainsaw: :clap: :)

A 372xp or 362xp would do you good as far as husky goes. A 361 would be you best bet on stihl. A 7900 or 7300 would do you good as far as dolmar goes. And then you could muffler mod them and then they are monsters! lol:greenchainsaw: :clap: :)

Those Huskys and Dolmars weight a lot more than the 361, the Dolmars close to 2 lbs, and is way bulkier as well - they are heavier than the 310 as well, except for the 362xp.....:greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
Hi all,
Just got my load of logs for the next year. This time I bought a full load for myself and not a half. I currently own a MS310 I had for a year. Last year I got all red and white oak to saw and split. Avg diameter was 16". The saw worked great but at 13lbs, was heavy at times and found myself taking more breaks than usual. Question is, and I think I know the answer already, would a 260 perform better? Also I can trade up at my local dealer who is one of the best around, or should I try to sell the saw and look at a dolmar? The dolmar dealer seems pretty good and is reasonably priced.

Millman

Thats the reason I bought my 361 over the 310. I was serious about buying a 310 but I didn't like the extra weight and it felt more awkward with a longer bar on it. Trade the 310 in on a 361 and don't look back.

saws

Those Huskys and Dolmars weight a lot more than the 361, the Dolmars close to 2 lbs, and is way bulkier as well - they are heavier than the 310 as well, except for the 362xp.....:greenchainsaw:

I was just saying for the size wood he is cutting, and that would out cut the 310. Plus, all of them I named would outcut the 310, easy. And you know what happens if you hang around here! LOL:greenchainsaw: :chainsaw: :clap: :)

I was just saying for the size wood he is cutting, and that would out cut the 310. Plus, all of them I named would outcut the 310, easy. And you know what happens if you hang around here! LOL:greenchainsaw: :chainsaw: :clap: :)

Sure, but I understand he wants a light saw - and those you mentioned are not light.....:)

Wtf

Sure, but I understand he wants a light saw - and those you mentioned are not light.....:)

If you're weak maybe...lol But he wants something to cut 16" oak with, so I told him saws that would do that. The 192T is light too, that doesn't mean it is going to cut 16" oak with ease.lol He obviously wants something to outcut the 310, and those saws will.:chainsaw: :greenchainsaw:

Hi all,

Millman

I would think you would be nearly as tired running a 361 or 310 the same length of time. The 361 will be getting through the cuts faster so you will be handling the weight of the saw more times then the 310. You will be getting a little extra rest from handling the weight of the saw while the weight is in the cut with a slower saw.
The 260 would be less tiring and would get the job done. I personally prefer a bigger saw at 16 inch log diameters. If you cut up 1 load of logs a year you do not need to be to concerned about wearing your small saw out on big diameter stuff like the pros.
I believe your tecneique will kinda self adjust as to handling your saw easiar the more you use it. Also those muscles get stronger the more you use them.

Just measured

Well I just went out and measured. the bigest diamater is 14" Avg is around 12. This year it's mostly Ash and Maple with acouple of Hickory logs. The Oak I got last year was a fluke. I appreciate all of your advice and probably will go with the 310. I'm heading down to NC later this year and plan to stop in and see Tony's Place - Ammicks. I feel Honered that Saw Troll and Stihl 440 had some banter on my behalf.:bowdown:

I'll let you know how I make out.

Millman.

saw

Well I just went out and measured. the bigest diamater is 14" Avg is around 12. This year it's mostly Ash and Maple with acouple of Hickory logs. The Oak I got last year was a fluke. I appreciate all of your advice and probably will go with the 310. I'm heading down to NC later this year and plan to stop in and see Tony's Place - Ammicks. I feel Honered that Saw Troll and Stihl 440 had some banter on my behalf.:bowdown:

I'll let you know how I make out.

Millman.

Glad you decided. Remember, you can make a bigger saw do the jobs of a smaller saw but you can't make a smaller saw do the jobs of a big saw. If you feel comfortable with going with the 310, then go for it.:greenchainsaw: :chainsaw: :clap: :)

Even though the 260 is one of my personal favorites it's in a completely different category from the 310.

Latest posts

Back