MS261 chatter/slapping sound when loaded

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madosta

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have a MS261 M-Tronic and can't figure out the noise it makes when loaded up in a cut sometimes. It sounds "chattery" - I don't know how to describe it but it's not a pleasant sound - sort of a click/ratchety chatter.

Just pulled the sprocket and the bearing is great, still has grease from the last time I greased it, crank is fine, no discoloration, no markings, no broken clutch springs, and it oils fine.

Happens with .325 and 3/8 sprockets.

Should I pull the clutch or what to try next?

Happens with .325 and 3/8 sprockets.

I'll ask the first obvious question: changing both the bar and chain when you switch between sprockets?

Follow up obvious question: you double check your bar(s) for spread ?

Yup

Id say the same.

Check the bar chain to be tight ( pull slack on bar UP before tightening) and make sure the gauge, pitch match

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Both bars are newer and nothing wrong with them. I can't imagine it would be the muffler but I'll double check.

It feels definitely like the clutch or sprocket. Metal rattle and only when loaded pretty good.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Yes, hardly any wear.

I'll see if I can grab some pictures tomorrow.

Okay that leads into the third obvious question... are you twisting the saw in the cut?

Ok,

- I swapped back to .325 and greased the bearing
- Tightened a few handle screws that were a little loose, checked the muffler screws - they were fine
- I put some extra grease under the stamped washer before I put the e-clip back in

I just ran it for half an hour and it seems to not happen. I can hear a little of the bar tail stress when leaning on it, but it doesn't chatter. I'm guessing it is the sprocket washer. Might try the rubber or small nitrile o-ring.

Ordered an Alaskan Mill for this stem 46 DBH:

treeoak.jpg

Thanks

Evil face in the break on that one! Hope it didnt land on anyone.
83cb445fcd6ca6edb22849411001fb13.jpg

Hahaha wow. It's upset that it wasn't maintained and got eaten up by carpenter ants.

Back