MS261 overtorqued oiler screw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aamokat

Reaction score
Recently picked up a used 261 that looked to be in great condition upon my initial inspection at time of purchase. After getting it home and getting a new chain, sprocket and chain catch on it, I went to adjust the oiler screw and it just turned and turned on me.

Do I need to replace the entire oil pump assembly to fix this?

There is a chance the previous owner pushed in that little roll pin to crank the oiler up beyond the factory max, which I think is a common modification. Personally I have never done it so my knowledge is limited to about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never done that either. It is a possibility, but I'm not sure if doing that will allow the screw to just spin without tightening or backing out. Ran a search for MS261 here and through ten pages of threads couldn't find anything on this issue.

I guess technically it does work, but it's gonna mess with my head knowing it's not the way it should be. Probably gonna live with it for a while but will likely need to replace the worm gear over time and might as well address this while I'm in there. Just looking to see what to expect in repairing it.

I guess technically it does work, but it's gonna mess with my head knowing it's not the way it should be. Probably gonna live with it for a while but will likely need to replace the worm gear over time and might as well address this while I'm in there. Just looking to see what to expect in repairing it.
Just get a new pump and gear. Easy enough and shouldnt be expensive.

Recently picked up a used 261 that looked to be in great condition upon my initial inspection at time of purchase. After getting it home and getting a new chain, sprocket and chain catch on it, I went to adjust the oiler screw and it just turned and turned on me.

Do I need to replace the entire oil pump assembly to fix this?
I believe , yes. There is a reason that the access hole size is limited. This is what that little orange screwdriver is for! I watched an old, half blind, ham-fisted guy force a regular scrench in there and bust a brand new 261 like that. If you are lucky the P.O. just sheared the roll pin. if not he damaged the pump casting which means that it is time for a new pump.

I believe , yes. There is a reason that the access hole size is limited. This is what that little orange screwdriver is for! I watched an old, half blind, ham-fisted guy force a regular scrench in there and bust a brand new 261 like that. If you are lucky the P.O. just sheared the roll pin. if not he damaged the pump casting which means that it is time for a new pump.
Might be why they make those screnches with a weak tip.

Or they are just junk....

There’s an ear on the casting that is broken off. If you remove the pump you’ll be able to identify where the Max position is. I’d turn it to max and forget about it. They don’t put out all that much oil anyway, so there’s no real need to adjust it for different bar lengths

Latest posts

Back