Stihl 08s chain oiler passageway clogged

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigmac86

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have been searching the internet for a way to unclog the oil passage way of my stijl 08s. I recently got this one that was sitting and on inspecting the oiler assembly, the passageways of the sprocket cover and the oil pump are clogged with what looks like corrosion. Is there a way to unclog the sprocket cover. It would be a waste kn my perception to throw away the cover.

Regards

Hi everyone,

I have been searching the internet for a way to unclog the oil passage way of my stijl 08s. I recently got this one that was sitting and on inspecting the oiler assembly, the passageways of the sprocket cover and the oil pump are clogged with what looks like corrosion. Is there a way to unclog the sprocket cover. It would be a waste kn my perception to throw away the cover.

Regards
Good day David here, as to your oiler that's clogged up, have you tried to soak it in petrol or a turpintine substitute eg something that cleans oil based paint brushes, please remove the rubber bungs/seals in the pump give it a brush with a stiff paint brush, and a blast with compressed air, you possibly can take the oiler apart, as to the oil galleries that are blocked it can be old bar oiled, try to soak it in the same way as the oiler, blow out with compressed air in the same way, regards David

Hi David,

Thanks for the advice. I will try it and see if it helps. I already managed to fix the oil pump, so now its just the sprocket cover.

Hi David,

Thanks for the advice. I will try it and see if it helps. I already managed to fix the oil pump, so now its just the sprocket cover.
Thanks for the message, if you want to be drastic, when the oiler is removed from the cover, pour a little paint thinners in the tank and give it a shake, be careful of your eyes, do it outside preferably, the oil galleries must be unblocked, also remove the oil tank cover check the oil pickup its probably blocked, hope you succeed regards David.

Thanks for the advice David.
I forgot to mention that i already checked the tank and its like you said the pickup was extremely clogged. This saw is the electronic version(newer version, no points) and the oil tank doesn’t have screws to dismantle it. I will try what you said by submersion but i think i’ll just buy a new cover(due to the fact that this cover has corrosion damage). Its a bit expensive but them i’m sure it will last me a lifetime.
Regards,
Mac

Thanks for the advice David.
I forgot to mention that i already checked the tank and its like you said the pickup was extremely clogged. This saw is the electronic version(newer version, no points) and the oil tank doesn’t have screws to dismantle it. I will try what you said by submersion but i think i’ll just buy a new cover(due to the fact that this cover has corrosion damage). Its a bit expensive but them i’m sure it will last me a lifetime.
Regards,
Mac
Wow great that you found the pickup blocked at least you are on the right track, if you have decided to buy a new cover then it will solve your issue, if the oil tank/cover doesn't have a removable cover you could partly fill it with some form of solvent, give it a good shake, remove the oiler let all the "solvent" pour out of the oil galleries where the oiler attaches, also make sure that the gallery to where the bar picks up the oil is clear, regards David.

Truth is after waiting so long for an answer on this post i kinda gave up on it and put it aside, but seeing how i still got some info i will try it. Your never to old to learn something. Other reason why i gave it up was that the passages from pickup to bar including the pump(already fixed) is clogged. And like i mentioned before, it looks like corrosion clogging and not old oil. I tried gasoline, degreaser and blowing it out with compressed air with no luck. But with some fresh info, i will try again. Thanks.
Regards
Mac

Truth is after waiting so long for an answer on this post i kinda gave up on it and put it aside, but seeing how i still got some info i will try it. Your never to old to learn something. Other reason why i gave it up was that the passages from pickup to bar including the pump(already fixed) is clogged. And like i mentioned before, it looks like corrosion clogging and not old oil. I tried gasoline, degreaser and blowing it out with compressed air with no luck. But with some fresh info, i will try again. Thanks.
Regards
Mac
Thanks for the reply, I think that I have got the answer, what has happened is there is corrosion on the aluminium alloy itself probably from moisture/water, here in the UK England there is are products that remove corrosion/lime scale build up, if you can buy something like this, all you do is make sure that there is no oil residue on the oil tank cover, so cleaning it out with something like acetone thinners will remove all oil traces, then spray with your lime scale remover, leave it for a good couple of hours, clean with hot water and redo until it all dissolves, hope this helps regards David.

Thanks. I will check if i can find that solvent and try it out. Thanks for all the info.
Regards
Mac

Latest posts

Back