MS270 New baby!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sprig

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Well sometimes things just work out like you didn't plan. Brought home the little MS270 for some maintanence, belongs to a group I volunteer for (community based charity that does all sorts of good for people). The poor thing was badly abused by a few "I know how to run a saw" idiots, chain was rocked, oiler holes were plugged (bar just on verge of burning), someone poured 4stroke into the bar oil (this took real brains, doh!), filter never cleaned. Saw was purchased new last year and cut maybe 8-10 cords of mostly pine. So I cleaned the filter, pulled the bar and checked it for true, cleaned the groove and oiler holes, de-burred a couple of spots along its length and flipped it over. Took my time and filed out the chips etc. on the RS325 chain and dropped the rakers accordingly. Phone up the lady who owns it and told her it was back in fine form again. 'How much is it worth?' she asks. No idea says me, what did you pay for it? '500$ a year ago' she said, so I figured probably 350-400 or a bit more. Why, I ask. 'I'm going to sell it, it is causing me too much stress so we're getting out of the wood business, people treat the whole thing like crap, saw too.' So what do you want to sell it for? I ask. '300$' she says. Will you take payments of 50$ a month starting now? 'From you absolutely! We want it to go to a good home and know you'll use it to help others too.' Deal is done, I have an almost new MS270 and am doing the happy dance. My little 08s is still in pieces on my bench and will become grunt for larger stuff once I replace the ignition wire (have to splice it, long story) and fix the crack in the flywheel (or find another one, what-ever). The 270 is in excellent condition, will need a chain soon though no biggie and has a de-comp valve even (nice for my old elbows). Needless to say I'm in a bit of shock here right now and plotting the quickest way to get this wee beast to pay for itself ASAP since I hate to owe anyone. So was this an awesome deal or what! In the morning I'll offer a bit more $ for the chaps and gas cans. I've already spent a day with this saw and though I could easily have a love affair with a 441 or some such this screamer is a gem and I think I'm in :heart: already! I'll make sure to post a full review once I have a few tanks through it. Must get it outside dawg right quick too (holes are there for it already). This puppy will be veggi oil fed as well, we'll see how that goes too.
My 'Good Karma' story of the day!
:) *big happy dance* :)

:cheers:

Serge

Hey Sprig, not many of us here run the MS 270. Most spend the extra $30 on the MS 280 for the extra power. In my case, I was buying two saws the day I got my 270 and the $30 difference did not feel too 'extra'.

I really like mine. I've had it since last fall, and have cut about 5 face cords with it so far, all hickory. It starts easy and is very smooth in the cut due to a great anti-vibe system. I run RS on a 18" bar, and as long as I don't dog it in the cut it has plenty of power for my purposes.

Good luck with your new saw, I'm sure you will be very happy with it.

The MS270 is a bit heavy for the weight, but I believe it otherwise is a pretty good saw, with better anti-vibe than the 260.

It has a magnesium case, but it is not constructed like a "real" pro saw.

The price she said she paid for it seems a bit high, unless there is a high sales tax in your state..........

The MS270 is a bit heavy for the weight, but I believe it otherwise is a pretty good saw, with better anti-vibe than the 260.

It has a magnesium case, but it is not constructed like a "real" pro saw.

The price she said she paid for it seems a bit high, unless there is a high sales tax in your state..........

Them's Candadian Dollars. 'Bout 350 US.:biggrinbounce2:

yeah little higher in canada.

got to pay for FREE health care some how.

270 is a hell of a saw.nice job!

Back