Ms280

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a clamshell design, not much from the 028 will fit a 280, just generic stuff like the chain, etc. In my experience parts are harder to find than other Stihls but they're not hard to work on. I sold mine because parts were too hard to get around here. Every now and then I'll have someone come to me wanting parts for a 270-280 and I can't help them.

Think these are pro/semi/pro series saw not a clam shell , however part's are hard to find , also they are NOT ... a popular saw ...and have a semi electronic carb ..... i would not want one ....
They are not a PRO series saw, more homeowner occasional use saw made as a hybrid clamshell where the base is part of the crankcase chassis. I have rebuilt several 280 and 270 saws and would never reccomend them for serious woods duty. The AV setup is so easily pulled apart as the rubber just slips in place. I know many that use them for backyard firewood duty, the saw can do that fine.

They tried to make a lighter MS290 clamshell. I had one and it ran good and performance was at a MS290, but noticeably lighter. I sold it and no interest in another as the weight they took off made the saw weak in places IMO. Either get a heavy MS290 or a lighter PRO design.

They tried to make a lighter MS290 clamshell. I had one and it ran good and performance was at a MS290, but noticeably lighter. I sold it and no interest in another as the weight they took off made the saw weak in places IMO. Either get a heavy MS290 or a lighter PRO design.
Best bet is to get a 390, about the same weight but more power.

This is sound advice. The majority of the saws I re-condition are the 1127-series....290/310/390.
The 390 is hard to find. Put a 28" set-up on a 390, and you'll be ankle-deep in chips, and grinning.
Very easy to turn a 290 into a 390, not much money but a little work. I've done several..

Back