MS290,Balls?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

314epw

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Does the ms290 have enough balls to pull 3/8 in pitch on an 18" bar?If so, 7 tooth or 8 tooth sprocket?Also I will be doing a muffler mod soon.
thanks
Ed

My 310 pulls a 20" b&c just fine, I think the 310 is 3cc larger and .2 hp more so I would say it would. I use the 20" on the bigger stuff and a 16 on most.

Why on earth did you buy a MS290 with your current setup ?
My answer to your question is no. But your 372 will ;)

Having run a 290 for a few years - I had nothing bad to say about the saw. I normally ran it with .325 (that was the factory setup) on a 16" bar and 20" bar and I was very happy! It never let me down and cut everything I asked it to - it seemed to like the .325 setup - so if you have a choice I'd run .325. If you are already set up with 3/8 I wouldn't go over 18" without the muffler mod and then only to 20". A modded 290 with 3/8 on a 16" would be a happy combination.

Please note that I said I HAD nothing bad to saw about the 290 - THEN I CAME HERE!!!!!:censored: Now my 290 travels lots of miles and rarely sees wood (just a backup saw) to my modded 361. If you are happy with your 290 DO NOT - EVER pick up a 361 or your life as you know it will be over.

If your 290 does what you need it to do - be happy and save your money. If you run a 361 terminal CAD will set in and you're done. The 290 is a solid saw until you cross over to the dark side!!! LOL

:chainsaw:

Last edited:
Lots of dip stick answers...

290's out here in Washington see 3/8" bars 18" - 20" all the time. It will pull it fine. We do cut a lot of softwoods... but it will be okay.

The 028 I have has a 20" bar on it and it runs just fine as well...

Gary

Cuts Hardwood out here the ASE just fine too. We run 18inch bar 3/8 chain on ours does just fine. Oh the muff mod on the 290 has to be the easiest of all. let me know if you need some info on it I think I have some pics some where. I think there are some posted as well. Enjoy they really are tough saws.

Latest posts

Back