MS290 cylinder options (modding)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Isna

Logging and sharing it (teaching)
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
An old friend of mine will drop by this WE with his MS290 to fix. the P&C are dead. Haven't seen it yet but, knowing it has been used for years by untrained WOOFERS, I believe him when he says P&C are dead. Looking for a new project, I was wondering what other cylinders (bigger) could fit (same stroke, rod length... ... ...) with appropriate modifications. I could, of course just port an after-market kit. Nevertheless, I am open to any "more challenging" solutions. Any ideas?

That's an easy upgrade I'll keep in mind. A slightly ported MS390 cylinder with a MM would already make a big difference. Do they have the same carb?

Yes

Just take the limiters out when the carb is out of the saw

Yes

Just take the limiters out when the carb is out of the saw

I usually take them out, especially after a MM. I will have to make sure he finds someone to readjust the carb: I live pretty high in the mountains (alps) and his farm is near sea level, 400 miles away. The correct setting at my place will be too lean when he get home.

haven't checked the figures but taking a chance... I have several MS361 used OEM cylinders. Any chances they could be fitted (I doubt so, but just asking...)?

I'll bet the 390 kit is not much more than the 250 kit. The Reisman I got was plug and play. I can not speak for the 390 but It should be of the same quality in general. They shine when ported for a stock type quad trans open port cylinder. I did a lot of light edge work in the lowers and really opened up the exhaust port. The pics suck I took of the 025/250 build. It's tough to see the edges.

I'll bet the 390 kit is not much more than the 250 kit. The Reisman I got was plug and play. I can not speak for the 390 but It should be of the same quality in general. They shine when ported for a stock type quad trans open port cylinder. I did a lot of light edge work in the lowers and really opened up the exhaust port. The pics suck I took of the 025/250 build. It's tough to see the edges.

I've done both kits and ported both; there isn't much difference between the two but size

One non-challenging option for an upgrade would be to put an MS390 p/c in it. Pretty sure it's a drop in, no mods required though.

Yup, just did mine a few weeks ago with a new P/C 390 short block from Bailey's. Just retuned the 290 carby and she runs great. Pretty straighforward except for getting the rear bar stud out. It's threaded into the engine block so it's got to come out to make the switch. Had to clamp mine in a vice and turn the whole saw to get it out. Double nut - no worky, vice grips - no worky. Get a new rear stud coming before you try yours. Getting the old one out pretty much destroys it. Luckily they are cheap.

Are you doing this build with a .325" or 3/8" chain?

Haven't considered those details yet. I'll see when I get the saw in a few days (normally on Sunday). So far I am just gathering information to know what options I can suggest to the saw owner. It will also depend on how much money he is ready to throw in for parts.

Bailey's had the 390 drop in kit last month or in January for $80. I grabbed 2 of them. I have a trashed 390 and a 029. Just haven't had the time to swap them out and mod them a bit.

Bailey's had the 390 drop in kit last month or in January for $80. I grabbed 2 of them. I have a trashed 390 and a 029. Just haven't had the time to swap them out and mod them a bit.

Be careful of that kit. If it was advertised as "unassembled", but came loking fully assembled, you might want to take it back apart and re-seal it. There are stories of the "unassembled" kits having little or no sealant on the clamshell. I had one like that. Resealed it, installed it, runs great. If I hadn't resealed it ... might have had a lean-saw sob story to tell.

Back