MS290 gas tank vent

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlotL1keVegas

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a flat top ms290. I've never ran this saw. I got it in a deal. Now im cleaning it up and getting it going. I came across this last night. The gas tank "vent". It looks like a set screw is in the vent hose. There is no way this is correct, is it? I have another ms290, newer version. And the tank vent is nothing like this.
Am I crazy? Or is this just the way the vent is on the flat tops?
I'm suspecting this is why the guy said "it runs, but will die".
Compression test had an average of 143 psi. Cylinder looks immaculate.

Attachments

• 20230806_181926.jpg
    20230806_181926.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230806_181945.jpg
    20230806_181945.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Yes, the guy I originally got it from said it ran but would die. (I have only ran this saw once for a very short amount of time, just to make sure that it started and ran. I didn't experience the so called "issue" the gentleman I got it from claimed.) But my first thought was the tank vent, or the coil had gone bad. One odd thing I just came across, is I have the recoil cover off, and am using a drill to turn the engine over for spark. But I only get spark when I have the drill at half speed or more. The saw doesn't produce spark at a lower rpm. I'm not sure why? Air gap on the coil is at .18mm. Specification is .15-.30mm. The coil tested at 12.7k ohm. Specification is 1.5-12k ohm. So it is a little on the high side. But theoretically it should work. Or should I just break down and throw a coil at it? And if so, does anyone have any oem ms290 coils?

Clean Vent, replace fuel hose and filter, replace pulse hose. Almost every older 029/290 that comes in shop. NO CHINESE FUEL HOSES!!!!
Also make sure the top of the vent hose fits in the recess on the white cylinder cover. Amazing how much leakage you may get from vibration wit it loose.

Latest posts

Back