MS290 - Lack of Power

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I checked the line from the fuel tank to the carb. Their are some cracks, but their is not gas leaking out of them.
Scott, if there are cracks in the fuel line then air could be sucked into the fuel line. There's a pump in the carburetor that is pulling fuel to the carb. That's why you would not see fuel leaking out of small cracks in the fuel line. Air bubbles in the fuel stream do not make things work well.

I had a somewhat similar problem with my 200T, and replacing the fuel line solved the problem.

From what I can see of the chain, the cutters are dark, but the angles look ok
I was also interested in seeing the bottom of the chain, the part in the bar groove.
But anyway, the fuel line should be replaced and the carb disassembled and thoroughly cleaned, as it is likely full of crud too.

Neighbor let me use his Husqvarna 445 while my Stihl was down. Man that thing is sweet. My next saw will definitely have the anti-vibe stuff. I could use that saw all day long without getting worn out. Unlike the MS290.

Now to the conclusion of my story.

Went to a different Stihl shop than the one that fixed my mystery oiler problem. :laugh: I talked to the guy there about my chain and fuel line. He said the shop who has been sharpening my chain has been "burning it". He also stated they should of took the rakers and safety bumps down also.

He also confirmed that most Stilh's have the fuel line problem that some folks eluded to on this thread. He recommended I replace the fuel line even though the cracks were not leaking fuel.

Stopped in today to pick up the chain and he showed me how to get the fuel filter out rather painlessly and picked my chain up. Chain looked great, was not burned and rakers and safety bumps were ground down a touch.

Got home and changed the fuel line in about 15 minutes. Put the new chain on. She now runs like a scalded dog.

:chainsawguy:

To everyone who participated in the thread I appreciate the help. Guess I will need to add "replace fuel line" to my semi yearly saw maintenance.

Scott

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back