MS290 Performance

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fordman99

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I'm a little new at this "tinkering with chainsaws"bit.I have owned and ran saws for several years but would like to learn more about the performance end of the saws I own.I've had a little 024av (20") for probably 12 years now,and that baby cuts like a dream!!!...can't seem to bog it down.onthe other hand my newer MS290(20") doesn't seem to compare.I have ran the saws side by side,both with new,sharp chain but the 290 just doesn't have the "top end" so to speak.Is this to be expected or the norm?also is there some carb or exhaust work I could do to get a little more juice out of it?:help:

The 290 is not a good saw, for its weight, and a 20" bar is far too much on a 024AV - try a 13" one.....

Sorry, just had to say it streight out,,,,,,,

I'm a little new at this "tinkering with chainsaws"bit.I have owned and ran saws for several years but would like to learn more about the performance end of the saws I own.I've had a little 024av (20") for probably 12 years now,and that baby cuts like a dream!!!...can't seem to bog it down.onthe other hand my newer MS290(20") doesn't seem to compare.I have ran the saws side by side,both with new,sharp chain but the 290 just doesn't have the "top end" so to speak.Is this to be expected or the norm?also is there some carb or exhaust work I could do to get a little more juice out of it?:help:

does the 290 have a rim & drum setup? maybe a 8 tooth rim, and keep the rpms down.

290 power

I am thinking of muffler modding our 290 to give it more oomph. I have a 20" bar on it and a sharp chain... does good in fir and softer wood, goes slower in the hardwoods like madrone and oak. Seems to have potential though. Right now its the backup saw, but I would like to see if it can be a better performer with a modded muffler port and re-tuned carb.

The 290 is not a good saw, for its weight, and a 20" bar is far too much on a 024AV - try a 13" one.....

Sorry, just had to say it streight out,,,,,,,

should i try a muffler mod on the 290 or not even worth it.I'm seeing alot of good remarks about the 260,is this a better saw for me?...firewood,10-12 cord/year.....90% hardwood...red,white oak,hickory,locust.

Get an pro saw worth the extra....money

The 290 310 and 390 like muffler mods, my 310 really opened up.

should i try a muffler mod on the 290 or not even worth it.I'm seeing alot of good remarks about the 260,is this a better saw for me?...firewood,10-12 cord/year.....90% hardwood...red,white oak,hickory,locust.

I think any saw will benefit from a muffler mod, the newer ones even more.

MS361 is the answer, whatever the question is (is what I use to say).......

...well, it sertainly apply here......:greenchainsaw: :greenchainsaw:

It is the versatile saw, for "allround" use........

MS361 is the answer, whatever the question is (is what I use to say).......

...well, it sertainly apply here......:greenchainsaw: :greenchainsaw:

what is the power/weight ratio of these two,(290 versus 361)if you have it handy,to save me the time ...I'm not the quickest at this computer stuff...THANKS!!!:bang:

bash

Not that your 290 has been bashed by all the "Homeowner saws are junk" folks,
Opening up the exhaust outlet and richening the carb will give you all the power it can. You will see the difference.
If you don't feel like getting bashed any more, do a search, or email me.
The saw is capable of doing anything a homeowner or light firewood cutter needs.

Not that your 290 has been bashed by all the "Homeowner saws are junk" folks,
Opening up the exhaust outlet and richening the carb will give you all the power it can. You will see the difference.
If you don't feel like getting bashed any more, do a search, or email me.
The saw is capable of doing anything a homeowner or light firewood cutter needs.

I've ran a "muffler mod" search on AS..alot of good info here!!!..very helpful and much appreciated!!!have also talked with a few local "saw techs" or so they are called...they would NEVER recommend anything but factory,but if the saw has the capability,why not open her up and let it breathe a little,huh?!

Welcome to AS Fordman!

The 290-390 saws are good for there intended purpose, they get bashed a lot for the weight you have to carry. All three of these saws weigh the same, no matter which one you get, they respond well to muffler mods, and if you blow it up, you can put a 390 P/C on it and have more power yet! For light useage and firewood, they are a good saw.

Welcome to AS Fordman!

The 290-390 saws are good for there intended purpose, they get bashed a lot for the weight you have to carry. All three of these saws weigh the same, no matter which one you get, they respond well to muffler mods, and if you blow it up, you can put a 390 P/C on it and have more power yet! For light useage and firewood, they are a good saw.
:newbie:
I really appreciate all the advice and information you folks here at AS have.I'll definately be back as a regular!!!THANX!!!

I agree with stihltech on this one. The MS290 has good power (3.75hp)when it performs correctly however I've seen a lot of them that are running extremely lean and this robs the top end power. Also check the exhaust and make sure it's clean.

I've never done any muffler mods. I leave my stuff stock........just me though!

The MS260 is a pro saw. It's 2 1/2 pounds or so lighter then the MS290. I've never ran one though. They feel great to me. Thought about getting one a few times. Stihl's been making and selling them pretty good for almost 20 years. I don't think a MS260 will cut any faster then a MS290, but you'll have to ask someone who's ran both saws.

I only cut 4 to 5 face cords of firewood a year. My 021 and 029 work fine for me, going to get a saw in between those two though. If I was cutting 10 to 12 face cords and especially full cords, I'd get something in the MS361 range.

As already mentioned the MS290 is a good saw for it's intended user. :laugh:

I agree with sawtroll. The MS290 is not a good saw, that's what I think. I have tried one and I was not impressed. Air filter clogged faster than I have ever seen on any other saw and even when cleaned the saw bogged down directly. Add the weight of the thing and you don't get a good equation, sorry. I outcut it with my 353 and when comparing to the 262XP, well, the 262 outcuts it when idle ;)

If I were you I would get a 357XP or MS361, then you will have a nice surprise. Or a 50cc pro saw, but then go with Husky, the MS260 is too old.

/Peter

I agree with sawtroll. The MS290 is not a good saw, that's what I think. I have tried one and I was not impressed. Air filter clogged faster than I have ever seen on any other saw and even when cleaned the saw bogged down directly. Add the weight of the thing and you don't get a good equation, sorry. I outcut it with my 353 and when comparing to the 262XP, well, the 262 outcuts it when idle ;)

If I were you I would get a 357XP or MS361, then you will have a nice surprise. Or a 50cc pro saw, but then go with Husky, the MS260 is too old.

/Peter

You dont know what you are talking about. For one, an ms 290 isnt that bad of a saw IF taken care of. Granted it aint a pro quality saw, but works for intended use. Two, 260/026 too old of a saw? Where the hell do you get that from??? 026 is one of the very best and easiest of saws to work on ever made!

what is the power/weight ratio of these two,(290 versus 361)if you have it handy,to save me the time ...I'm not the quickest at this computer stuff...THANKS!!!:bang:

The MS361 is 5.6kg, 3.3kW (3.4kW in Europe).

The MS290 is 6.1kg, 2.8kW.

Those weights are from independent testing, not Stihls numbers.

...but more important are the totally different construction of those models, the 361 is a quite new pro design, while the 290 is an old consumer class design.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back