MS290 Performance

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Open your muffler slightly (drill the exit holes with the muffler is OFF the saw), trim away the deflector nose slightly, and retune the carb...

Ignore the bashers - they'd all you like you to buy the 361, for nearly twice the price (they never do a price comparision on the two). Strange that the 029/290 is one so Stihl best selling saws... If you have the money, sure, buy a 361, but if you don't or choose not too, the 029/290 a fine saw.

I have a 361, and sure it will cut rings around an 029, but I've used the 029 a lot and it cuts just fine. In the hands of a typical "less than 5 cord a year" homeowner, it will outlast them!

I love this answer actual practical information on what to do with the saw you can afford. Personally I am not right, I can't leave a saw stock, my 288, and ms391 are the only exceptions. These bashers are the reason, I kinda avoid making a statement here. I got a feeling that a lot of them are just armchair quarterbacks.
Alot is being made of weight, we are getting spoiled these days, I grew up with guys carrying old Macs, Poulans, Homies, and even the old 2100cd's, alot of these saws weighed in over 15lbs and not taking anything away they were usualy torque monsters, but compared to modern saws a little slow on the rpm.
I bought a MS391 brand new, you would have thought by the responses I got here, that I was a peda file. Never mind the fact that the saw outpreforms, all the 357,and 359, huskies in the area, fact is for the cutting I do It runs with most 372's here, and I have yet to open it up.
My suggestion take the above advice if you want to wake it up, and if it still ain't where you want it, and the money is available TW is right $100.00 buys a new 390 p&c with more displacement. As far as bar length goes If it works for you use it. Those bar length nuts,should keep there opinion to themselves, you will know when the bar is too long the saw will lose rpm and power drastically, it will also wear spur gears or rim gears out alot faster.
Bottom line if a 029 can be made to do your job, then have at it and have fun with it, if you find yourself in a position to afford better, and better in your opinion then have at it. Good luck and try to keep it fun.
Maybe if these fans of the 036,and ms361 are so offended they can help you take up a collection to buy one of the over priced B#####ds.
How about we concentrate on helping people out, and leave the saw bashing out of things!

Oh! Yeah! By the way for what it is worth, I cut a honest 40, to 50 cords a year, commercially. Both hard and soft. I got a little experience. I would almost rather have a saw in hand then a beer!

I've cut a whole lot of wood with a 029 (original not even a super) and it works fine. If you are only going to cut 3 or 4 cord a year it will be all you really need. My BIL has a 290 and my it will not cut as good as my MM 029 (this is how I base my conculsions that a MM will make a noticable difference on these saws and if you look at a 290 muffler they are choked down from the way mine was stock). They are not as strong as my Dolmar 5100S which can be purchased for about the same price but then again, yes it is noticable but not huge. Bottom line IMHO, if you have a farmboss you can MM and get a little more power and they will work good enough for most people. If you own one, just quit listening to everyone bashing them and go out and cut a little wood.:clap:

Last edited:
I guess the story never ends, especially since the MS290 is stilh being sold vigorously in my area. My dealer sells them hand over fist every week. The price for performance and reliability is what sells this saw. They go for $379 here and the MS361 costs $598. That's a $210 difference. Math was never my strong point.Too much for not much gain in HP and a negligable weight difference. I can man-up and handle the half pound for the few hours the saw is used.

I love my 290, even though it supposedly weighs too much an is under powered. 13 lbs and 3.8 hp. Mine doesn't feel too heavy and cuts like it's supposed to. Better than my small "box" store Mac, which is now used primarily for limbing work. The MS290 has been rock solid reliable for me so far. I have fallen 4 trees and bucked a little more than 5 cords with it. Everything working as it should and the saw still starts on the second or third pull. BTW, MM in the planning stages for when the warranty runs out in 2 years.

Steve

aod-ash.jpg

You raised the dead--again???

Latest posts

Back