MS291 vs. MS261

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The OP said he wanted to occasionally use the saw on his Alaskan mill.

Yeah I know, but you were quoting indiana when u were questioning that...so I didn't know if u thought indiana was thinking you could or if you read that he said it isn't the appropriate sized saw to do it with.

I'm sorry. 271, 291, 311, and 391. NOT 201, 261, 441, and 461. Us stihlheads need a simpler numbering system. Sheesh.

Read any of my post on the 261, hands down the 261 it is as good as any 50cc saw on the market, imho one of the very best, it is not however a milling saw, you need to look at 90cc plus. The 261 is rock solid, one of the members here THALL posted he has sold almost 60 of them and not seen one back in his shop yet. My sons use two in our wood business and they have been bullet proof, I wouldn't trade mine for any other 50cc saw on the market. Absolutely love them, one of my all time favorites in right at 35 years running them. We sell the fire out of them at our shop, predominantly to the tree service pro's and several to full time firewood operations, several have bought multiple units. We have not had one come back with any issues.

Saw Troll will show up and bash them, but he bashes all Stihls and has never used one. They are a fantasitic saw.

They are even better with a muffler and retune mod:hmm3grin2orange:

The "1" has nothing to do with their construction. The "1" is just the newer generation. The 261 and the 291 have about zero in common. The241, 261, 362, 440, 441, 460, 461, 660, and 880 all have split magnesium crank cases. These are the saws in the professional category. All the rest have a bolt on crankcase and drop into the plastic housing, as far as I know. The number just changes with each new iteration of the saw model.

I'm sorry. 271, 291, 311, and 391. NOT 201, 261, 441, and 461. Us stihlheads need a simpler numbering system. Sheesh.

Or , you could just come over to the dark side . Repeat after me ; "There is nothing like an XP" . :hmm3grin2orange:

German saw = :chainsaw:

Sweedish saw = :chainsawguy:

Or , you could just come over to the dark side . Repeat after me ; "There is nothing like an XP" . :hmm3grin2orange:

I've ran both (including xps) and I prefer the german ones ;), but that is personal preference. If u have any experience to add about the two mentioned saws feel free to chime in to state your opinions.

They also have an awesome filter setup. With a bit of grinding and a big carb, they can run with some 70cc saws.:rock:

"MOST" 70cc saws! Anyone here is welcome to try my "Stumpbroke" MS261. My hands down all time favorite. Not possible without the Husky/Stihl battle everyone knows exists. I own ALL colors of saws by the way..... not biased.

"MOST" 70cc saws! Anyone here is welcome to try my "Stumpbroke" MS261. My hands down all time favorite. Not possible without the Husky/Stihl battle everyone knows exists. I own ALL colors of saws by the way..... not biased.

I agree, save the milling for bigger saws .

P.S. ....... I enjoy all your comments ST whether I agree or disagree. (my skins gettin' a little tougher)

yeh those Xtra-Plastic saws are great. the new 550/562 saws are really proving to be the husky norm. push it to market=won't start,recalls,and more recalls.

...... because he runs a 15" b/c on a 361 just a sad old timer :clap:

Well, imo the 361 was the last really good Stihl model, as it was their only quad transfer one, that wasn't a "strato".

Btw, I often use an 18" on mine (but mostly 15" with 3/8x8, as that is fun to run) - then it is an Euro (=stronger) one, and it has a muffler modded by Andy himself......:msp_wink:

yeh those Xtra-Plastic saws are great. the new 550/562 saws are really proving to be the husky norm. push it to market=won't start,recalls,and more recalls.

Try to find a single other saw in todays market that has more metal per total weigh - I doubt there is even a single one!

Of course some carb issues can be expected with totally new carb models, no surprice there....:msp_rolleyes:

The "1" has nothing to do with their construction. The "1" is just the newer generation. The 261 and the 291 have about zero in common. The241, 261, 362, 440, 441, 460, 461, 660, and 880 all have split magnesium crank cases. These are the saws in the professional category. All the rest have a bolt on crankcase and drop into the plastic housing, as far as I know. The number just changes with each new iteration of the saw model.
actually the 261 and 291 share alot of the same parts.

I looked at both the 291 and the 261 before I purchased my new Jonsered. Of the two, I would definitely buy the 261. Very nice saw! In fact I would have bought one if the local dealer had a better attitude when I went in to look. Buy the 261!

The OP said he wanted to occasionally use the saw on his Alaskan mill.

Pushing the brand you sell is nothing new, and it explains why he pushes Stihl. This is fine, but one could hardly say his opinion is unbiased.

I guess you've missed all the post were I have said repeatedly that the 346xpne, 555, 5105 are all excellent saws. I own Dolmar as well Husky saws, all brands make excellent saws, buy what you like and where you will get the best service as I've posted repeatedly, we ran the 346xpne until the 261 came out and we just like it better for what we do with them. You will see a price drop on the 291 after the first of the year though and yes I'm involved with a Stihl/Echo/Shindawia dealer and we service virtually all brands. I had the 261's long before involvement with a dealership. Several years ago we sold Dolmar so we see our share of them. Due to the price we only stock 1 291, there are plenty of 290's left in the system so we always have 12-15 of them on hand. The 291 is an improvement though IMHO, but right now it makes no sense to stock them when there is only 11.00 difference at retail between it and the 311, just waiting until the first of the year until the 291 goes down.

How did you figure out that extremely stupid statement? :dizzy:

I didn't expect you to fall down to a low level like that.......:msp_rolleyes:

Due to you repeated Stupid statements/ history of showing up on virtually every Stihl thread bashing them with an exemplementary record on the 261, when was the last time you run one? I've seen that asked repeatedly, yet it seldom gets answered, when it has been the answer is always "I don't have to", I've held one. I don't base my opions on reading spec sheets, some folks do, the OP's just need to know what will always show up.:msp_tongue:

Back