MS361 fractured crankcase... what to expect from Stihl?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Possibly, but who knows? . . .
But I do agree, if there was a problem with this model, the manufacturer will be real slow to step up and admit to anything at all.
Took Stihl and Echo a real long time before they admitted their problems with their fuel lines a decade or so ago..

Could be an error in translation from the German engineers who labeled the blueprints for the US model "chain break mount here"?

Philbert

Curious

Well since someone brought up the MS362 it got me curious about mine. Tore into it a little while ago and everything looks to be in fine shape, never mind the dirt. I have about 40 hours on the saw and I am a frequent chain brake user.

View attachment 222873

looking at the cracks im curious to wonder if instead if pulling back on the chain brake ,they are HITTING it from the left hand side,causing more of a twisting force on the pivot point not a front to back motion as its designed for.?

looking at the cracks im curious to wonder if instead if pulling back on the chain brake ,they are HITTING it from the left hand side,causing more of a twisting force on the pivot point not a front to back motion as its designed for.?

Chain brake is attached to both sides of the crank case, doubtful it could be twisted.

Here is a question. Even seeing the cracks by the pins. How many of us would even worry about this. It doesnt effect the normal operation of the saw. The few times a year my chainbrake gets applied is not going to hurt it any more than it is. Why should stihl do anything about this? The OP runs untrained kids on these saws for months at a time. They are 3 to 5 years old with 1000s of hours on them. They fact that they lasted this long without numerous problems shows me you have gotten your moneys worth. As a matter of fact maybe the OP should send Stihl a few more bucks for the 1000s of hours of use from these units. All the pros and homeowners on this site with 361s have NEVER had this complaint. Some say the 361 was short lived but I bet it was atleast 6 or 7 years. With thousands of units sold. Here again we have someone well out of any warranty consideration. We then have to call a meeting with the reps from Stihl about this? If I was Stihl I would send the OP packing about this issue that only happens to him. When the OP then would tell me he is not going to buy another stihl product. I would give him a Husqvarna gift card. I am still baffled at how Anyone could feel stihl Needs to do something about these saws with the use and hours they have on them!

I don't think anyone is really expecting Stihl to 'correct' the OP's problem.

I would still report it to Stihl headquarters..and offer the saws for their viewing.

Having worked in QC (now QA) for 18 years (retired) we would welcome a chance to view..!!

When customers worked with us..we would always give a 'thank you' complementary gift.

OP has nothing to lose by bringing his situation to Stihl's management.

Just My 2¢..!!
:cheers:
J2F

I don't think anyone is really expecting Stihl to 'correct' the OP's problem.

I would still report it to Stihl headquarters..and offer the saws for their viewing.

Having worked in QC (now QA) for 18 years (retired) we would welcome a chance to view..!!

When customers worked with us..we would always give a 'thank you' complementary gift.

OP has nothing to lose by bringing his situation to Stihl's management.

Just My 2¢..!!
J2F

I agree with that. Very well spoken. Have you thought about a career in politics?

I agree with that. Very well spoken. Have you thought about a career in politics?
LOL..!! I must add my local congressman is NOT running for re-election..

If I ever was a congressman...I would introduce legislation on term limits..!! 8 years MAX..!!

Chances on that passing are like next to 0%..!!!!
J2F

Last edited:
Well since someone brought up the MS362 it got me curious about mine. Tore into it a little while ago and everything looks to be in fine shape, never mind the dirt. I have about 40 hours on the saw and I am a frequent chain brake user.

View attachment 222873

Notice how your attachment point casting is different. Notice how your chain brake mechanisim is different. If the ms361 was so good why did they change?
Maybe some of you forget what it is to be young or have young folks run your equipment. If they are a type of person that abuses equiment it will show. You will have cases/tanks chaffed from thrown chains. You will have adjustments turned and messed with. You will have broken plastic. You will have muffler screens poked out with a screwdriver. It will have missing screws. The clutches will be smoked. The rubber antivibe bushings will be torn and stretched. This man has five saws all with the same problem.

Notice how your attachment point casting is different. Notice how your chain brake mechanisim is different. If the ms361 was so good why did they change?
Maybe some of you forget what it is to be young or have young folks run your equipment. If they are a type of person that abuses equiment it will show. You will have cases/tanks chaffed from thrown chains. You will have adjustments turned and messed with. You will have broken plastic. You will have muffler screens poked out with a screwdriver. It will have missing screws. The clutches will be smoked. The rubber antivibe bushings will be torn and stretched. This man has five saws all with the same problem.

Highly suspect I would say the kids did it no doubt.

Oh....to be a fly on a tree while these saws are in action! :msp_mad: :bang:

i was thinking it was one one side only.

I understand. A fair amount of saws are designed that way, yet somehow we are not hearing of an epidemic of chainbrakes busting out of the cases.

If the OP could confirm this, I would suspect that the 361s are the go to saws. Probably used many times over the other saws in the quiver. It would also be nice to hear some S/Ns and maybe some other guys have 361s that could do a quick check on the crankcase/chainbrake attachment point just for giggles.

One of the disadvantages of running someone else's equipment is the increased liklihood of abuse that the equipment will see. $100 says that this wouldn't be happening if it was their own saws that they were running and if they were therefore responsible for the repair costs.

Even if the cases are cracking from setting the brake before the chain spun down, so what??? Isnt the brake designed to engage at full throttle and almost max rpm? If setting the brake to early is responsible for the cases breaking on MS361's then you can keep em. I know of plastic saws that this crap doesnt happen too.

Even if the cases are cracking from setting the brake before the chain spun down, so what??? Isnt the brake designed to engage at full throttle and almost max rpm? If setting the brake to early is responsible for the cases breaking on MS361's then you can keep em. I know of plastic saws that this crap doesnt happen too.

Sure it can be done and it stops the chain just like it is supposed to, but not every time all day for years. It sounds like these saws get a lot of use and abuse. That will catch up with ANY equipment and fail.

The plastic saws you know of get used every day for years? Nope!

Sure it can be done and it stops the chain just like it is supposed to, but not every time all day for years. It sounds like these saws get a lot of use and abuse. That will catch up with ANY equipment and fail.

The plastic saws you know of get used every day for years? Nope!

Well the OP didnt mention anything about having to change out any brake bands... But I guess its ok for the case to crack before the brake band wears out....

Hello All
Here are some pictures of the mount on my MS 361.

MS361%20Brake%20Mount%2001.jpg

MS361%20Brake%20Mount%2002.jpg

MS361%20Brake%20Mount%2003.jpg

As you can see there is no evidence of cracking on my saw.

Comparing this mount to the mount on an MS 360, there appears to be far less material supporting the mount.

Also in your third picture the mechanism shown is from either an MS 361 C-BQ, MS 361 C-Q, MS 361 C-Q Z or an MS361-RZ all of which have the control handle activated brake so it would be applied every time the user lets go of the control handle. If the chain is still running at a high enough speed it would be putting a tremendous load on the chain brake pivot far more often than the design parameters allow for. Looking at the saws in your rack you can see that they are indeed fitted with the control handle activated brake.

I suspect that the reason most of us have never seen this issue is that we mostly use the standard MS 361 without the control handle activated brake. I suspect that this is an operator issue.

Regards

Phil

Latest posts

Back