Ms361 help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MLCase

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all. I just bought an ms361 off ebay for around 350 bucks with shipping. Once i got it i realize its loaded with Chinese parts. The gas tank/handle, filter housing, cylinder, piston, handle bar, brake handle, and muffler. I would have never bought it if I knew they were on there. But now I don't know what to do with this thing.. do I sell it for what it is (worthless) or do I put all kinds of money in it and put the right oem parts on it? What should I do????????

Does it run? Use it as is and look for a 361 parts saw. Replace the chinese parts as they break. Or you could just leave the saw alone and use it to cut wood. You could spend another $350 replacing all those Chinese parts with new oem parts. You don't want to have $700 bucks into a $350 saw. If it doesn't run, part it out.

It runs. I haven't gotten it into any wood yet though. I'm going to clean it, vacuum/pressure test the crankcase, check all the rubber and then see how it cuts.

Shoulda had Den69RS96 run out to the cape to pick this one up for you:
Still 361.png

I can understand your frustration. I purchased my 046 as a fixer upper saw. Once I got it, I realized it needed more work than I thought. I used oem parts on the build. I had the same thoughts as you. I just bought a pos. I bought a 325 dollar saw and put 450 into it including a brand new Stihl 25 inch es bar and new chain. I'm kind of anal about my stuff. I want everything to be correct. Looking back I should have refurbished some of the parts I replaced. I used my saw as a learning experience so to me it was worth it now.

If everything checks out ok, I'd just run it.

Hello sir, I can understand your frustration...... Didnthe seller state this in the sale.... I have not had any problems in the bay yet, but I just buy parts, I have heard that they will try to correct any problems....until then I think you should run the saw like you normally would...

I have used some of the cheap Chinese parts, most "work"

The guy seemed pretty innocent when I asked him whats up with the china crap. It runs.. ehh.. Pulled the muffler off and the cylinder is junk big scores all over. But only looks as if the most one tank through it. Just really low quality I guess. I'm very picky with parts on my equipment if it's not the right one it drives me bonkers. I'm going to give it a days worth of running, if it's not up to par i guess ill be dropping some coin on rebuilding it. Just frustrating because you buy stihl/husky/jred exc.. to stay away from poor quality products.

eBay policies certainly favor the buyer... you really are protected. However if you got a working saw, as described... then take it as a learning opportunity. Personally I would never buy an item, site unseen, if I was that concerned about fine details such as that. Like buy a 10-15 yr old car and expecting all service/replacement parts to be OE...

I often hear guys who rebuild saws for sale will use aftermarket parts. Its the only way to actually make any money. You start replacing a significant amount of parts and the saw quickly nears or exceeds the cost of new.

The guy seemed pretty innocent when I asked him whats up with the china crap. It runs.. ehh.. Pulled the muffler off and the cylinder is junk big scores all over. But only looks as if the most one tank through it. Just really low quality I guess. I'm very picky with parts on my equipment if it's not the right one it drives me bonkers. I'm going to give it a days worth of running, if it's not up to par i guess ill be dropping some coin on rebuilding it. Just frustrating because you buy stihl/husky/jred exc.. to stay away from poor quality products.
Well if the piston and cylinder are bad, and he didn't state that it is bad, contact ebay for sure you don't have nothing to loose.... if this dirty bastard does this all the time to people he needs his card pulled!!!

Take picture send them to ebay and tell them the item was not as discribed by seller....

I just recently got a bad cylinder from hutzl all the way in China.... I was polite about telling them is was a bad cylinder.... sure enough they ask for pics, I sent them, and believe it or not they sent me another.... I never had to get ****** or contact eBay at all.... to tell ya the truth I was absolutely shocked how well hutzl handled themselves.....

Please let us know what happens, but I personally say let him and ebay know you got a lemon..

Sounds like you got pretty well screwed.

Personally, I'd want my money back. eBay does really favor the buyer. Of course, your position will weaken as time passes, especially if you run the saw.

About buying the name brands to avoid cheap junk: that really only works when buying new or used from a reputable seller and or with an in person inspection. I'd never consider buying a saw on eBay. There's darned good deals on saws here every day from reputable sellers.

with a scored piston and cylinder, that changes everything. For the amount you paid, I would send it back. That is a parts saw at best.

Latest posts

Back