ms361 or ms362 which would you buy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

361 or 362

Votes: 9 25.0%

Votes: 27 75.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

James Sawyer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I need some advice which saw would you buy both saws are used. MS361 or MS362 non Mtronics. Scared about the emission on 362 and the not sure how much time on 361. I saw couple hundred over new 362 and about 1/2 on the 361. The 362 is in good shape.

That poll could have been 361 vs any other saw and for my needs (firewood) I would allways choose the 361. The only exception might be a couple collector saws I would be into, Dolmar KMS4, McCollough BP1, or maybe a Solo or Echo twin.

In my opinion the 361 is unbeatable for every day use. Light, smooth, fast, and in 12 years it has never let me down.

I have run a lot of saws but must admit I’ve never used a 362. From what I’ve read they are noticeably heavier than the 361. They have more torque but I think the 361 would walk all over it with a muff mod. Either one is probably reliable as you could hope for.

I made my decision... I'm from Oregon , at lunch I went into the local saw shop that supports loggers in my area. Several loggers where in the shop & I talked to the service tech too. By the way Bammer73 has two new 361 in the box I was consider buying. I talked to him about these saws listed on the trader this morning...by the way very good reference Bammer73 has "I checked". The guys at the saw shop were surprised two new 361 where available! The 361 was one of the best saw Stihl made, but from what I heard the MS362 (carb) model is little better... smoother, wider power band, better air filter, better fuel, 1 year warranty, I can get parts a longer time period. Little more money for 362 but for me it just made better sense, plus the shop will tune it. The only draw back is the oiler which admitted might not be as good as the 361 (EPA BS). I was thinking... I could make a different cam on the 3D printed here at work. This would solve that problem if this oil couldn't be adjusted for a 25" bar. I could add a bit of JB weld, shape a new profile on the cam, copy the profile in the duplicator to get the proper print file . Then print it exactly what I needed Plastic or metal. Thanks for all the advice.

The only draw back is the oiler which admitted might not be as good as the 361 (EPA BS). I was thinking... I could make a different cam on the 3D printed here at work. This would solve that problem if this oil couldn't be adjusted for a 25" bar. I could add a bit of JB weld, shape a new profile on the cam, copy the profile in the duplicator to get the proper print file . Then print it exactly what I needed Plastic or metal. Thanks for all the advice.

The 361 is known to have a stingy oiler as well. The trick for them is to swap a 460 Oiler or rebuild the 361 Oiler with the 460 piston and control bolt as explained by Windthrown:

The 460 and 460R oil pump body is the same as the 361. As said above there are two small parts that are different inside them. The stock 361 will pump 15cc, the 460 will pump 18cc, and the 460R will pump 24cc. From my '361 options and mods' thread on AS back in 2008:

You can replace the 361 oil pump with the full 460R (3/4 wrap) high capacity oil pump assembly. The Stihl part number is:

1128 640 3250 full oil pump assembly

You can also keep the 361 oil pump and just replace the piston and control bolt with the 460R parts. The Stihl part numbers for these are:

1128 647 0602 oil pump piston
1128 647 4803 oil pump control bolt

You can also replace the pump with the 460 oil pump or parts, and it will gush a bit less. If you are running a 28 inch bar, the plain 460 oil pump parts should be fine.

1128 640 3206 full oil pump assembly

or:

1128 647 0606 oil pump piston
1128 647 4806 oil pump control bolt

Point being there may be a higher volume pump that would fit the 362 as well. Might be worth researching.

And enjoy the saw!

I'll have to check that out when I pickup my saw next week. I talked to the service tech and he pulled out the pump vane from another pump and showed me the part diagram. The vane is a plastic lead screw type design which the clutch spins, the adjustment screw restricts the oil. To get more volume out of the original pump I would have to increase the thread depth or change the thread pitch or both which could be difficult. There isn't that much material to work with to increase the area between the vanes/ threads. And a course modify the adjustment screw restriction... A bigger pump would be better, it'll have a larger dia. vane.

The 361 for speed,the 362 for comfort, makes a difference when being used for many hours a day. The 362 has become my favorite 60 cc class saw with its 20" bar and Stihl chisel chain. The 036 PRO, MS 360 and 361 just sit waiting for the 362 to break again...

Kinda surprised the people saying a 361 isn’t smooth. Maybe you need to work on your chains or something. ;)

Break again... what are you doing to that saw???:eek:

Actually use them ,not to look at or put 5 - 10 hrs a year on, modules and carbs are their soft spots. When running right it just feels good to me, that`s more important than something that`s noisy and vibrates more. My 044`s and MS440`s used to get the most workouts, the hybrid sort of cut into that but the 362 has grown on me slowly. My 026`s get the nod on small tree days, drop, limb and section all with the same saw, just take multiples of them with me and no need to sharpen chains in the field or refuel if I don`t want to take a time out.

I like my 361 more than a 362 primarily because the 362 is a gorilla to work on whenever it goes haywire, one way or the other. The last 362 I worked on was straight gassed and the ignition module was dead, likely burned out from the heat. Prior to that, the same operator destroyed the chain brake and broke the tank housing. I advised his boss to allow someone else to use it. He agreed.

I suppose the 362 has more power, but I'm not so sure of that. My 361 ran dead even with a 362 at a GTG. I doubt I will ever sell it.

I suppose the 362 has more power, but I'm not so sure of that. My 361 ran dead even with a 362 at a GTG. I doubt I will ever sell it.

Just curious if both saws were stock or what if any mods were done to them.

OP already made his choice. Probably no need for the continued 361 votes. Unless you’re trying to make him regret his new saw. :buttkick:

I made my decision... I'm from Oregon , at lunch I went into the local saw shop that supports loggers in my area. Several loggers where in the shop & I talked to the service tech too. By the way Bammer73 has two new 361 in the box I was consider buying. I talked to him about these saws listed on the trader this morning...by the way very good reference Bammer73 has "I checked". The guys at the saw shop were surprised two new 361 where available! The 361 was one of the best saw Stihl made, but from what I heard the MS362 (carb) model is little better... smoother, wider power band, better air filter, better fuel, 1 year warranty, I can get parts a longer time period. Little more money for 362 but for me it just made better sense, plus the shop will tune it. The only draw back is the oiler which admitted might not be as good as the 361 (EPA BS). I was thinking... I could make a different cam on the 3D printed here at work. This would solve that problem if this oil couldn't be adjusted for a 25" bar. I could add a bit of JB weld, shape a new profile on the cam, copy the profile in the duplicator to get the proper print file . Then print it exactly what I needed Plastic or metal. Thanks for all the advice.

Good choice, can`t see how you would regret that.

Latest posts

Back