ms361 or ms362 which would you buy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

361 or 362

Votes: 9 25.0%

Votes: 27 75.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The break-in on the 362 seems very slow. If it seems disappointing for the first 20 tanks, that's how ours were. They're pulling harder every day and the 25" bars don't seem to be holding them back anymore. They are smooth too. My major complaint is the cost of parts.

The Mtronic version we had had hot start issues too. That was unacceptable.

I doubt the OP will regret his purchase in the long term.

The 361 is known to have a stingy oiler as well. The trick for them is to swap a 460 Oiler or rebuild the 361 Oiler with the 460 piston and control bolt as explained by Windthrown:

I appreciate all the effort to explain these oil pumps. I order 460R 461R $89 be here Friday. Pick up my saw Tuesday. The service guys wasn't sure if it would fit or not... really he didn't know what the difference were. Told me if it didn't fit he'd take it back since he normally stocks these. He did say the cutter run 28" bars and haven't complained with the stock pump. I thought about ordering just the pump and control screw but I was afraid the worm drive might have different pitch or something.

Point being there may be a higher volume pump that would fit the 362 as well. Might be worth researching.

And enjoy the saw!

In 2011 the regular Canadian ms362 had a lower out-put oil pump than the full-wrap model. The full wrap model had a couple of other more “commercial” features too (I think: dual dawgs with roller chain catcher, stiffer AV springs, aluminum handlebar, bigger clutch cover, ES bar).

I could be mistaken, but I believe the 441 oil pump was the same as the 362 wrap oil pump then.

FWIW here..

Got my new saw put together MS362. 25" Stihl lite bar, upgraded the oiler to MS462 full wrap 24cc, upgraded the dwg and added a tach. 1st time installing one of these tach's on a saw cover ...learned bit about this the next one will be lot easier. I wanted the tach due to the EPA tuning on these new saw, same with the oiler. Haven't had a chance to use it yet. The saw is lighter then my Stihl 034AV with 20" bar which is what I was shooting for plus its a bit more saw

IMAG4820.jpg IMAG4820.jpg IMAG4822.jpg IMAG4823.jpg IMAG4824.jpg IMAG4825.jpg IMAG4826.jpg IMAG4830.jpg

One dwg works well for me with the thick Douglas fir bark on west coast...I've never tried one of these light bar before...just going have be easy pulling the face out and use my axe more.

The Mtronic version we had had hot start issues too. That was unacceptable.

That happens when you run the saw hard and shut it down immediately. The M-tronic is still thinking WFO so it provides too much fuel on restart. If you let the saw idle for 5-10 seconds before shutting it down, it'll start right up again. That's a good idea anyhow as it lets the cylinder cool off a bit. When I forget, I just open the throttle full when starting and it will start after a couple pulls.

Here's what happens to a Stihl MS 362 when the operator treats the saw with straight gas:1638230205816.jpeg
Cracked cylinder. I suppose something else could have caused this. Not sure what. Piston was also in miserable shape. I replaced both. Saw runs nicely once again.

Latest posts

Back