MS361 Won't Run

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I rebuilt the carb on my husqvarna 394 with a ki,t and put the wrong diaphragm in it. It ran for 10 seconds or so then just flooded out and would not restart . the kit i got came with 2 daiphraghs and one had an extra hole. I would double check that.
Will do!

I was just sitting here studying the 361 service manual that backhoelover sent me and discovered that there may have been a pump ball missing from the accelerator pump on this carb. The service manual shows a spring, pump piston and a ball. When I disassembled it, there was no ball. However, with this being an aftermarket carb, who knows what was there or not there in the beginning.

Just finished installing a brand new carburetor. I poured a small amount of mix into the throat to help get its little heart beating, gave it a pull and away she went. Once I got the new carb adjusted, she starts easy and runs perfect. I still cant figure what was ailing the other carb. It was immaculate inside and out and I blew carb cleaner through every orfice on it, but it would not run.

Yesterday, I bought a MS361 from a neighbor who had reached the end of his rope with it. He bought it used last year and cut firewood with it all last winter. This year, when he went to start it, he found that it would fire easily on full choke, but when he moved the lever to half choke, it would only run about ten seconds. After trying to start it for about a month, he called and asked if I wanted to buy it.

Figuring it was most likely an impulse or carburetor problem, I brought it home. The impulse line that was on it had too large of an inside diameter and fit very loose on the cylinder impulse connector. I replaced it. After that, when I tried to start it, I had the same results as my neighbor. I took the carburetor to the bench and tore it down and cleaned it out with carb cleaner. Put it back on and still had the same problem.

Since I already have a good running 361, I decided to pull the carb off of it and move to the new saw. The new saw ran perfectly. Then I decided to put the problem carb on my 361 and found that it would not run past the first 10 seconds on half choke.

Today, I tore the offending carb back down 2 more times for inspection and cleaning. The second time I pulled the accelerator pump out and thoroughly cleaned every orfice, jet and passageway in the entire carb to no avail. It still wont run.

This appears to be an aftermarket carb. There isn't a model number on it anywhere. I did find the letters HL on it, but nothing more. I'm sure that it did run once, I'm baffled about what to do other than just replace it.
I have had bad luck with carb cleaner making diaphragms and other soft materials in the carb get brittle. Disk break cleaner has never caused me issues like that. Might need a carb kit now

Just finished installing a brand new carburetor. I poured a small amount of mix into the throat to help get its little heart beating, gave it a pull and away she went. Once I got the new carb adjusted, she starts easy and runs perfect. I still cant figure what was ailing the other carb. It was immaculate inside and out and I blew carb cleaner through every orfice on it, but it would not run.

Once in a while, it does happen: sometimes carburetors just cannot be fixed. So far I had this happening on two Walbro's and a no-name Chinese carburetor (a Keihin clone).
Which on second thought I shouldn't even have tried fixing: cheap carburetors are disposable items.

Back