Ms362 cm questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

regulate34

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I bought a ms362 cm R. A few days ago. Using it for work. I’m on a thinning\fuel management job at the moment.

I went and ran a tank through it cutting cookies. To kinda break it in. Then had it at work today. Ran 8-9 tanks through it. 94octane 40:1 Sthil 2 stroke

Saw ran great all day. Actually impressed with it. Ran a 28” tsumra on it today. Just nice for reach and not bending over.

Two things I noticed today. I used sweet AF for bar oil today. Every time fuel up the bar oil was still more then half full.
Oiler is at max. Bar is clean and oil ports good.

Bar and tip were cool. Not that I was cutting crazy hard. Felling saplings up to 8-10” and bucking them up.

Not sure what to make of it really?

Second Q? is.

It seams to run a bit ritch. Pretty dark around the exhaust port. Black and wet on the top of the chain cover.

While In the cut. When you first get into it. It’s like it’s 4 stroking kinda hard. Then it’s like the car leans it out and it just sings beautifuly.

Still in break in?
This is my first m-tronic saw.m

The computer is adjusting for you in the cut. Warm up motor before cutting to allow computer to adjust and it will adjust all day long giving you best performance. Let it cool down after by idling briefly. Make sure you keep the air and fuel filter clean for best performance.

40:1 is what you might be seeing around the exhaust port.(or not) Have you tried 50:1?

If you idling more then the oil pump is not flowing while using more fuel. I have found the newer "C" saws use less oil for the bar, but work out OK.

My saws are warmed up and cooled down properly.

The way it acted at the start of the cut. Was consistent all day in 6-10” wood.

I may try some 50:1. Also i haven’t pulled the plug yet. I’ll do that in the am.

Most Stihl oilers are stingy. If you use thinner bar oil, it will pump more of it out. I’m not certain if that’s a better option or not.

The oil buildup you’re seeing is from cutting saplings. It’s not working the saw hard enough to burn it off. Mtron seems to act quickly to add fuel, but more slowly to lean out.
I’d stick with the 40:1 personally. Eventually it’ll break in and might stop leaving spooge

My saws are warmed up and cooled down properly.

The way it acted at the start of the cut. Was consistent all day in 6-10” wood.

I may try some 50:1. Also i haven’t pulled the plug yet. I’ll do that in the am.
The m-tronics take a little bit to get used to after running regular carbed saws. It may take 8-10 tanks of fuel till it's broke in. I run 45:1 in all mine. My 462 is the only one of 3 i have that uses more than a 1/2 tank of oil per tank of fuel.

Did you adjust the oiler for max output?

I found that my 362's oiler did not put out as much oil as I would prefer for a 24" (Stihl 25") bar. A non lightwight 24" bar pulls the saw's balance too far forward. It's not terrible, just a bit annoying. It takes a bit more effort to move the saw around than it should for a saw that weight. The saw cuts kinda slow with a 24" bar fully buried. I ended up getting a larger saw to cut that size wood and mostly use an 18" bar on the 362. I think 20" would be good too.

Sometimes if I shut down without letting it idle for 10 sec or so it will get too much fuel to start if try to start it within 10-15 minutes. A couple pulls with the throttle wide open clears it

Did you adjust the oiler for max output?

I found that my 362's oiler did not put out as much oil as I would prefer for a 24" (Stihl 25") bar. A non lightwight 24" bar pulls the saw's balance too far forward. It's not terrible, just a bit annoying. It takes a bit more effort to move the saw around than it should for a saw that weight. The saw cuts kinda slow with a 24" bar fully buried. I ended up getting a larger saw to cut that size wood and mostly use an 18" bar on the 362. I think 20" would be good too.
Yes I had the Oiler maxed out.

I got a 25”es bar in the deal. As I have one that’s pretty warn on my Alaskan mill.

Those bars are a tank. Saw was more nose heavy with the 25”ES then the 28” tsumra

I had a 20” tsumra on when I was cutting cookies for the tank. That was a nice feel for sure.

That’s my go to bar for my ms460 when I’m bucking firewood.

Back