MS362 Popup piston

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Sawyer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Has anyone tried installing a popup piston in a MS362 (carburetor saw) ...if so how did it work out? Did you check the squish and compression before and after?

I rebuilt the top end of a straight-gassed MS362 carb saw and it ran fine after I was finished. That was about five years ago and the owner still uses it today. Compression was 150 psi after the rebuild (40 or 50 before I rebuilt it). I cannot recall if they called it a pop-up piston. It was an OEM and anything but cheap.

The 362 is a strato charged saw ,I don`t think it would be the best choice for one but that`s just me.
The only thing you gain is less transfer port work but lowering the cylinder to meet a cut popup is pointless unless you can do the ports and reduce blowdown. Welding one up is sketchy at best. It may or may not crack or distort depending on who welded it and with what. Prep matters and the whole process. Can't trust those cheap AM junk ones. The Duke probably has the best ones if it is available.

Back