MS362C-M or MS462C-M

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dstrick

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I’m buying a new saw for firewood (10 cord/season), property maintenance, storm cleanup. Firewood comes mainly from log truck tree service Seattle suburb area. I usually select Douglas fir but there’s a lot of mature hemlock and big leaf maple around. I despise alder. Stihl is the only brand represented on the west side and I’m fine with that. I can wait and have money for MS462 or could get an MS362 any time. I will be running a 28” ES Light bar on either saw. Any opinions on which of these two saws? All the reviews have the 462 sounding way better with loads more low end than the 362. Thanks for input.

I've driven a 362 with 20" bar and it was pretty decent (liked my 562 better). Haven't run a 462 c-m yet but it sure looks good on paper for power to weight ratio.

BUT, if you want to run a 28" bar, 462 c-m is a slam dunk. I would definitely not run a 28" bar on a 362.

I am thinking of buying a 462 c-m and selling my 562xp but the 462 c-m is definitely pricey. Hard to justify the cost when I'm only cutting part time.

Thanks! The first load I did here was with a buddy’s 361 28” light bar into 32” rounds. The saw wasn’t cranky but I did have to use a little patience. But it’s not really even a time thing. Bucking is easy the splitting is rough. But I could sure see the 462 as my last saw. One I could carry into my 70’s twenty years from now.

That 462 is unproven. Who knows how long they’ll last. It might be stellar, it might be a pos.

Sometimes gambling pays off.
I had a gal at a gas station pushing lottery tickets tell me "you could be a winner", I told her I am a winner, I could be a looser:buttkick: :laugh:.

That being said the 462 is a very light 70cc saw and would be a much better saw in that size wood/running that length bar, for oiling if nothing else.

They been running them for sometime across the pond.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

So what have they determined to be the service life of the saw?

We’ll never know since that sort of information is a mystery with powersaws. Not so with almost any other machinery built for commercial work. Maintenance/inspection intervals are right there in the owner’s manual. If not, certainly in the shop manual.

The saws that have been made in the past many years have not been adequately tested. I doubt these newest offerings are any different.

That saw is a completely unproven entity until it has been in the hands of the consumer for thousands and thousands of cumulative hours. Hundreds of thousands.

I wish it well. It may become a desirable classic. We won’t know that for at least a few more years.

just got the 462. i put a 20" bar on it for now. only ran it a little bit yesterday to noodle some big mulberry. speechless. :rock2:
After running the 241 I would be too;)

Can get some great deals on the 461...it's less than the 441 cm was at my dealer

Latest posts

Back