MS391 trade in or sell?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickwa04

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I bought a ms391 last year to cut firewood. In my area it is mainly pecan trees. Very large ones to say the least. The saw just was not big enough to do all that I needed. I just bought a new 660 and was not sure if I should keep the ms391 or trade it in. Dealer said he would give me 300 dollars for it. It has maybe 4 gallons through it and looks brand new. I was curious if I should keep it as a smaller saw or buy a smaller pro series. Any thoughts on this? I do have an old echo I use for limbing but it is a 14" bar.

I bought a ms391 last year to cut firewood. In my area it is mainly pecan trees. Very large ones to say the least. The saw just was not big enough to do all that I needed. I just bought a new 660 and was not sure if I should keep the ms391 or trade it in. Dealer said he would give me 300 dollars for it.
I'm sure you know his already, but the dealer will not give you what your saw is worth. I would suggest to you that you try and sell it on Craigslist or eBay if you go that route. But it will probably be fine as a smaller saw. Hell, I ran an 029 super for 10 years and it cut probably 150 cords of firewood between me and the PO and it still runs awesome to this day. Never had a problem at all with that saw. What you're doing may be a little more demanding, though.

I was thinking that. I have a 18" on it now. And honestly did not know what a fair price for a 391 would be on craigslist. I was just wondering not being a pro series how well they hold up but sounds like it would probably last me years. Thanks!

But it does kind of suck after buying the 660 all the things i read on here people are not impressed with them stock. Which I was reading info on here all the time about ayear ago but did not think about reviewing the site before my purchase.

I like the 660 stock. Only used one for a few hours on a 36" maple but it cut faster then an other saw I ever ran. But my 391s the biggest saw I own. Good old ohio, after about 25" nobody seams to want to cut them if they dont have to.

But it does kind of suck after buying the 660 all the things i read on here people are not impressed with them stock. Which I was reading info on here all the time about ayear ago but did not think about reviewing the site before my purchase.
Just open the muffler and retune. Boom. New saw.

I had a 391 with a muffler mod and a 20" bar. It was a dog before the mod, but ran great after. I ended up selling it after I got a 460, but the 391 was a great saw!

Fyi, I listed it for $525 on Craigslist, and ended up getting $485. I definitely wouldn't give it to your dealer for $300.

I second keeping it for a limbing saw. Your not going to want to swing that 660 all day.

Ok I looked at the pics that will not be a problem at all. So on these new saws. I realize the old ones you tune the carbs. On the newer ones do I need to retune it? I am probably wrong but does the carb not automatically adjust?

Personally I like the 391 but wish it had more grunt. And being 2 pounds lighter than the 660 it honestly does not feel much lighter. I am hoping I can get more power from it.

Pecans don't have very much trunk as they spread into large limbs pretty low to the ground. I would think the 391 would be able to readily make about 90 percent of your cuts. I recently cut up a large pecan and the biggest bucking cuts were in the area where the lower branches spread out, not near the ground. If you encounter pecans, the 660 was a good choice but I wouldn't part with the 391 just yet. That two pound weight difference will be a lot before the tree is all firewood. When I do a tree, I start at the top and cut up everything as I work my way to the base. I just keep going up to a larger saw as the wood get larger. I cut pretty small diameters into firewood as long as I can get a 16" piece. So on a pecan I would typically run a tank with the 018, a tank with the 026 and then a tank or two with the 039. Then I either get out the 044 or 660 to finish up with about one or two more tank fulls. Another characteristic of pecans is that there are still branches going pretty high in the air when the tree is on its side so you'll need to have a larger saw to "fell" those once you get the underneath stuff cut up. I am unfamiliar with the 391 but I know a muff mod on an 039 makes a big difference power wise.

Ok I am going to keep it.
I have 18" bar.
If I do the muffler mod and 8 pin do I need to retune the carb? Im a little confused on these new saws. Older ones I understand. But these new "smart" carbs do I need to adjust them.

I personally would keep the 7 pin drive sprocket but for <$10 you can try both and see what you think.
Here's a link to a thread on cutting up a pecan I made a few weeks ago http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/pecan-harvest.253831/
I think keeping the saw is probably the best option at this time. You may eventually replace it with something else but it helps round out your present line up.

Latest posts

Back