MS440 Air Filter Help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csmitty

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So I'm putting together a MS440/044 Hybrid. I got it at a pawn shop for $40 after someone pawned it off as a ms461 and they were trying to get $700 for it. It was a mess. Case was 044 with threaded oil capl, handle was a flippy cap. No clutch drum but they rig'd it up with a plastic piece to keep the chain tight on it. It was a MS460 that they scratched the 0 off to look like a 1, and of course it didn't fit right anyways.

Well I swapped out the case to 440 style, intake boot had huge rip in it. Cylinder was in ok shape and it cleaned up, new oem piston/rings/crank bearings and seals, swapped out the zama for a walbro with a fresh kit and she started up 3rd pull. Even forgot to adjust the carb but it was close enough.

Now I'm trying to figure out the air filter covers. It has this air filter base which I'm assuming is the MS440 based on the IPL's.
$_58.JPG

I've seen these as well with the gasket.

s-l225.jpg

I pulled the HD2 filter off my 460 to see if it would fit the top image and it seems like it does, but its hard to tell if its sealing to the base. Do I need the gasket lower image to work with the HD2 filter?

Latest posts

Back